Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Monday, June 02, 2008

Funny comment on AWWC

I was on the site agentquery.com, looking for more lit agents to, um, query. I was checking out one lit agency and saw that someone posted a question about it over on the Bewares and Background Check at the Absolute Write Water Cooler. Now THIS is the place to go and check out agencies. So I was reading the posts and everything sounded fine until someone mentioned they got a contract from them BUT....had concerns when getting to the clause where the client would reimburse the agent for fees, postage, etc., etc. Normally, that's the thing to steer clear of, but I was shaking my head and mumbling, "Dude, negotiate." Because you CAN negotiate things in a contract! Besides, that clause gave an either/or option.

Here is the link:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73790

I was reading posters comments on how that kinda thing is standard in contracts these days. Someone even quoted SFWA's comments about that clause.

One writer said his/her agent has that in the contract, and that he "keeps it in there just in case a client does something that really gets his goat."

That made me REALLY laugh! HAHA! I was laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes. HILARIOUS!!! I could just see that now. The agent getting angry at a client and going, "You big turkey! Here's a bill for $100!"

In other news, I have exhausted agents found on agentquery.com to E-query. Now I'm hitting up the other sites and some books to look for more!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home