Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Saturday, April 12, 2008

10 Reasons why I LOVE writing MG

1. The chapters are short. I've written chapters while waiting for hubby to join me for a movie, while my daughter watches a TV program, while waiting for the baby to fall asleep (or the water on the stove to boil), etc. I've also found I don't need a HUGE, GIANT chunk of time to write when writing one of the chapters!

2. I get to keep the writing simple. (The plot and structure, too! Yay! None of that pesky symbolism, plot devices, etc., to worry about! Meh!)

3. I get to be a kid again. :)

4. The WHOLE manuscript is SHORT! I was able to write the first draft of my latest in a spiral notebook, with LOTS of paper left over!

5. I don't have to deal with grown-up stuff and grown-up issues like I do in my grown-up novels (addiction, abuse, relationship issues, etc.).

6. There ARE real monsters, but they're not as gory or as scary as they would be in a grown-up novel. (Actually, they're just ghosts...)

7. It puts my writing skills to the test. With the reminder that kids in that age group are more focused outward, and not inward, I have to constantly change passages to keep everything that way. I have to really be creative with how to keep the story interesting and keep the kids wanting to keep turning the pages to read more. It doesn't harm the writing, the characters or the story at all. In fact, I have found that my writing is MUCH more better compared to my other, non-MG stories. In essence, it's definitely sharpening my writing skills.

8. I get to write good stories that emphasize things like friendship, trust, kindness, helping others, etc. (That's a GREAT feeling!!)

9. I get to write stories that introduce paranormal research tools and issues to kids in a way THEY can understand.

10. The next story is an even bigger adventure than the last. :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home