Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, December 14, 2007

New baby, new attitude

Sometimes there is just so much I want to write, and so little time to write it all.

Yesterday I was chatting with my editor about the novel revisions. Or, at least, TRYING to chat. She informed me she was really, REALLY busy at the mo and couldn't talk about it right now. That's ok, I said. And really, it WAS ok, because I was soon lost in thought on three different things I wanted to write. I was LITERALLY lost in thought; I was thinking so much on one such thing, which was an essay I want to submit to this anthology, that I can't even remember what I was doing or even staring at while thinking about it. (This reminds me of the time I was staring at the bookcase, thinking about something to write, when Jennifer got my attention and asked what I was looking at. My response: "I'm not looking at anything. I'm thinking.")

As caught up as I was in these three things I wanted to write then and there, I only had the chance yesterday to write two of them. I even cut out some of my normal fanaticism with the housecleaning just so I could have more time to write! But I could only manage two of them. That's ok, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. At least I got a good amount of writing done for the day! It's better than nothing and at least it was TWO things I wrote out of those three, and not one or....zero.

Since having the baby, I've adopted the attitude that I will write a little here and a little there, instead of doing all of it in one full swoop. And so far, that attitude has been working out pretty well. I've STILL managed to write every day, thanks to that very approach. When the baby is older, THEN I'll be able to throw myself into writing more!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home