Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, December 07, 2007

More memorable than any kind of writing accomplishments ever

A little over a month ago, I gave birth to my second child. My son was born almost 3 weeks early, but he was a very healthy baby. When I held him in my arms for the first time, I had tears in my eyes. He was the second most precious gift I had ever received in this life!! There is nothing in the whole world that can equal the sheer magic and joy of holding your newborn child in your arms.

A friend told me if I am not remembered for my writing, then at least I will be remembered for my children. And, you know what? If I never reach the kind of success I want to achieve as an author, I will still die happy, because I had my children. They mean so much more to me than any kind of fame or fortune in the whole wide world!!! And they mean more to me than any kind of fame my writing could ever give to me.

Of course this doesn't mean that, because I've had children, I'm satisfied with my life and just going to stop trying to obtain some level of success with my vocational goals. But it does mean that, if I fail in the end, if I end up NOT being remembered after I am gone, at least I will leave behind a part of myself that I took the most pride in being a part of creating.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home