Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Too tired to write?

All this week, I have been writing, writing, writing. I'm also doing interviews, of course, but it sure has been a productive week as far as writing is concerned.

And that has been a good thing, too. Sometimes, though, after all the OTHER stuff I gotta get done each day, coupled with not getting enough sleep at night, I've been sooo tired. One mantra I keep saying this week is "can't sleep, muse will bug me." This is true. As tired as I have been this week, I have STILL gotten the writing done. That desire to write a certain something was just too strong to quench.

Also, I knew if I didn't get a certain piece written up today, I'll have to do it tomorrow. The longer I put it off, the greater the chance it WON'T get written. And because I've been spacing out all of my writing tasks for this week, assigning two tasks to each day, I knew I'd have just MORE stuff to work on tomorrow if I didn't write it today.

That's pretty much the thing right there which prompted me to write DESPITE being so tired. I'd tell myself, 'Well, I'll make it short.' Or, 'Just one page.' Or something like that. You know? But the surprising thing was that, even as I started to work with these gentle nudges, I was soon on a roll!

I. Couldn't. Stop. Writing!

It's like after I started writing what I had to get written, my muse was on fire. I wasn't so tired anymore. My brain magically woke up. And all of a sudden, the words just wouldn't stop coming.

This was really a big surprise for me. I mean, a BIG surprise! I'm used to writing even despite writer's cramp, but in the past, fatigue had beaten me to the desk. There were just times I'd think 'I'm too dang tired to write right now. I'll do it after I get some sleep. I'll be able to concentrate better, anyway.' But apparently, not even fatigue could cripple my muse. Not even fatigue could stand in my way of writing something that I REALLY wanted to write!

This discovery has me feeling both elated and relieved. I guess we never really learn something about ourselves until we are forced to put something to the test. And I'm sure glad I put this to the test. Now I know that I CAN write even if I think I am "too tired" to write. From now on, I won't be "too tired" to write anymore.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home