Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Changing my pitch

I am going to switch gears on what novel to pitch to agents. Instead of the paranormal series, I'm going to pitch the fantasy novel instead. I WOULD try pitching the chick lit, but to be honest, it's not "ready" to go out into the world yet.

I'm kinda down about having to put the paranormal series on a backburner, but since I am an unagented writer with only one (unpopular) novel to my name so far, it's the best thing to do. I read at the following blog post that pitching a series when it comes to being an unagented, unknown author is BAD, BAD, BAD:
http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2008/04/what-to-write-next.html

Nevertheless, agent or no agent, I am STILL going to keep writing the paranormal series. I HAVE to stick with it. If I go too long between books, I'll forget too much. It'll be too hard to get back into that world. I'll probably move on to writing OTHER books, instead. And that's NOT gonna happen! I'm gonna finish writing the WHOLE series. At least I have the luxury of time to whip them into shape. *rolls eyes*

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 7:14 AM , Blogger cathouse teri said...

    No doubt, a perfected series is easier to sell than an incomplete and rough one, eh? ;)

    I hope the new pitch goes well for you.

    Curious, why not get an agent? (You probably answered this previously, but just thought I'd be a pain and ask.)

    And just so you know, my word verification thingy came up with nwlqife, which is Ahblahbaic for "new life."

    May it be breathed into your venture! ;)

     
  • At 8:20 PM , Blogger colbymarshall said...

    Just remember that no matter how hard a pitch is, if you love your story, don't lose faith in it. Move on to something else for a while if you need to, but don't put it away for good if you love it.

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Colby, that reminds me of my favorite quote by Walt Disney: "To believe in something, you have to believe in it all the way." I think every writer who undertakes the time-consuming task of writing a book musty feel some sense of "love" for it in some way. Otherwise, they'd abandon that project as soon as things got to be too hard! I'm definitely enjoying my characters (even if they are children) and the stories they have to share. And it doesn't hurt that I like to tell a good ghost story! :) So I'm not seeing me abandon this project anytime soon. Yes, it DOES hewlp to love it. :)

    Teri, thank you for such a wonderful comment. :) I am trying to get an agent. I just never put much effort in it until now. You've brought up a very good point on how having a perfected, complete series will be better than at the stage I am at with it now. I just hope I am successful in even signing with an agent so that the series will at least get a look.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home