Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Monday, June 30, 2008

Author sites: Are pictures important?

I am putting together an author site for my books. This site will be completely different from the dmcwriter site. The dmcwriter site will be more of a "writer's" site, and this one will just be about my books.

I was thinking of putting my pic on the homepage. Nothing glamorous, mind you. Just a pic of what I look like! I think people are curious about what authors look like. (I know I am!) And it's nice to have a face to go with the name.

However, my husband is against me posting my pic on that site. Which is something I don't understand, really. I said, "I won't wear my glasses for the pic." I won't show my whole face! Heck, I'll even wear a baseball cap and shades! Not good enough.

Still, I think a pic should be on there. Somewhere or another.

My pic's on my MySpace, on my deviantART page and even on the dmcwriter site. It's not like people don't already know what I look like! I'm not exactly proud of how my face looks. I don't really think I have a beautiful face that should be plastered EVERYWHERE. But it is my face. It's what I look like. So why not have a pic on my site? I think people appreciate something like that. Adds a "human" feel to the site, ya know?

But if not on the homepage, at least somewhere on the site.

We'll see what happens, I suppose.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM , Blogger Stephanie J. Blake said...

    Hi Dawn, thanks for visiting my blog. I think an author photo is nice to have. I don't have a professional one. But, I do have a pic on all my stuff. But, if you aren't ready, you can pick something else. I like the pic on your blog profile. Until you get your own book, you can use that one can't you? It's nice.

     
  • At 7:54 PM , Blogger arychtexas said...

    some times it nice to see who wrote the ish but sometimes the mystery of not knowing who jotting down that good material might make the reader come back...

     
  • At 11:03 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    CW: Thank you. :) I know the idea that it's better to have a professional photo is the one most writers and authors should follow, but I know I like seeing a more "human" shot of authors. Hugging their dogs, getting a coffee at Starbucks, signing books, etc. That pic on my blog profile is pretty old. I might use a new one.

    arychtexas: I agree, the mystery of what an author looks like can be a good promotional thing! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home