Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Revision blues, Part 2

I figured out what was wrong with the essay. Even though I kept thinking 'I NEED somebody to read this thing and tell me what they think is wrong,' there wasn't anyone available to read it so I had to work it out on my own. It ended up getting worked out in that workshop in my mind, while I was sleeping. I literally woke up knowing what was wrong with it! I guess "sleeping on it" really helps!

The problem was a case of "apples and oranges." I was talking about two different things. I guess I thought they were connected somehow but I realize now that they are not. The main issue this essay talks about concerns in-vitro fertilization, not abortion, as I also discussed. I'm not going to address the moral and ethical implications associated with the termination of healthy embryos once a viable embryo has been chosen for implantation. (As I understand it, instead of termination, the remaining healthy embryos are stored.) But what I was talking about was "designer babies" compared to deaf couples aborting their babies based on the suspicion that the baby can hear. (Yes! That's the ONLY reason why those babies were aborted! An outrage.) It's not the same thing, so I had to take that part out.

I WAS outraged over deaf couples doing that. In fact, my anger over that happening seeped into my essay. I had to take THAT out, too. Since I already took....that whole issue out altogether. But I have to remember that even though this IS a personal essay, I have to keep things like anger, sarcasm and satire in check.

I also decided to delete the part about a Bill passed by Parliament affecting the IVF community, because by the time this book comes out, that Bill might no longer be law in the UK. Well, I said MIGHT. Who knows. But better to leave it out, all the same.

So I made all those changes this morning. And I'm satisfied with the essay now. Thankfully, Draft 5 is the final draft. Woo-hoo!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6:34 AM , Blogger Jana B said...

    Wooo hooo!!! Congrats on getting the "apples" seperated from the "oranges"!!

    If you ever need someone to read over your stuff, I would do it... that sounds kinda fun!

    It seems wrong to me, for parents to choose the embryo based on things like hearing, hair color, gender... I'm very uncomfortable with that.

     
  • At 3:08 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    I feel the same way. The HEALTH of the baby should be of utmost importance, right? I got pregnant and gave birth to my children the natural way, but my reason for writing that essay was mostly to discuss being a deaf parent with a hearing child, and how that is NOT such a terrible thing! In light of deaf parents somehow believing that it is. SOME deaf parents, anyway...

    And, thank you! I could ALWAYS use some extra readers!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home