Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A moment to shine

It has been over two years since I started up an E-zine. I mainly started it as a way of promoting my book, BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL: How We Survive as Writing Parents. Then, it grew into something bigger. (Don't ALL projects??) It became "my E-zine." A way to get more stuff out there to other writers. A way to read and share great writing from others who submitted. A way to network and "spread the word" on new books, new sites, new projects.

After a while, though, the workload involved in getting this E-zine put together was a heck of a lot more than I could withstand. I know of some E-zine editors/publishers who have outsourced the work to those willing to keep their E-zines going strong. I have thought of doing this, too. But, I don't have the finances to pay for help. And, I really don't know of a way to make it all "work." I have also considered making the E-zine "available" to someone else willing to carry it on, but I do so love being a part of it, I don't think I could give it up.

I have received very positive and encouraging feedback from readers. And when I've shared the link to it with others, they'd say things like "looks good" or "I enjoyed reading your newsletter." These things were really motivating and encouraging for me, but I still had too much stress over spending HOURS working on putting it together and all that. (I guess it doesn't help I do all my computer work typing with my ONE good hand!)

Now something else has happened that has made me even more hesitant to give this E-zine up, or even suspend it: The new writer who has gotten published here and can count this as their very first paying gig.

In the recent issue, I bought an essay from Donna Piazza, a writer starting her writing career late in life. When I asked for her address so I could mail her a check, she E-mailed me and wrote such a touching E-mail of how this was her first sale. I cannot even put into words the glow I felt within as I read her note. It was so moving. I know what it's like to sell that very first poem, article or essay. (Actually, mine was an article.) I know just how special and validating that kind of experience is for a writer.

And now I have been responsible for giving someone this wonderful moment to shine. I am the one to make some new writer's day, to help lift their spirits and allow them to feel that they are actually a GOOD ENOUGH writer to be paid for what they wrote.

It's truly a beautiful moment for me.

And because of this, my E-zine will continue. If I manage to get some help set up, great. But if not, that's ok, too. The E-zine will go on, no matter how much time I put into getting it together every month. And even if it doesn't bring in any money for me, so what? The rewards I am getting from publishing it are far more valuable than any amount of money could ever be.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:54 AM , Blogger Stephen J. Hopson said...

    Dawn:

    Ever since I learned you participated in my "Adversity University" tagging experiment, I've been scouring your blog for other articles to read.

    You really write nicely and this particular blog post was touching because I haven't yet been "paid" for my writing but I do know how it feels to be "validated" when a reader writes to say (s)he loved the story I wrote or how it made his/her soul sing with joy. That's quite a validation, isn't it?

    Thanks for sharing.

    Stephen Hopson

     
  • At 1:49 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Hi, Stephen!

    Thank you for checking out some other blog posts. You rock! :)

    And, I definitely agree! Wow, what a big compliment on your writing! That's wonderful your writing is able to touch someone so deeply! It's the little notes and types of feedback like that which make all of the work worthwhile.
    I think everyone has their own definition of what would "validate" them as a writer. For me, it was getting published, not paid. But I can see how that would be a big milestone for some writers.
    Thank you for reading! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home