Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Thursday, November 16, 2006

I caved

Because I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year, I pretty much decided I was going to put the sole focus of my energies into working on my NaNo book. This is why I tried to finish up the novel revisions for a publisher in time.

That didn't happen.

OK. No problem. I'll just work on that AND my NaNoWriMo book. No sweat.

So I went about this task of working on two books at once, the first draft of one novel and the hopefully FINAL draft of another novel. (Usually, I'll work on a novel and a nonfiction book or poetry book when I'm juggling book projects. Things can get a little...difficult when working on two novels at once.)

Then I get an email from the director of SIGNews, asking me if I would take on two assignments due in 3 days and two MORE assignments due in 10 days.

At this point, given that I hadn't been paid yet for two OTHER articles I've done for them, I was ready to respond with the very professional, "Bite me!" But...I didn't do that. LOL I just told him I couldn't take on more assignments since I hadn't been paid for the other work yet. He wrote back ASSURING me that payment was already authorized and the check will be in the mail next week. I mulled over this, taking a GOOD long look at my situation. Let's see: I'm a divorced mom struggling to make ends meet. And I was turning down work??

Something was wrong with this picture.

So I wrote back and told him I'll do it. Give me those four assignments! Bring it on! NaNoWriMo be damned!

Well, not exactly. I'm still working on that book. And the OTHER book. But lately I've just been a little too preoccupied in meeting my pressing deadlines, as well.

Where DID I put that "watch me crack!" stamp??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home