Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, July 19, 2024

Nature That Inspires: Nature Therapy is a new poetry book about nature and ecology

 


On a recent walk, something caught my eye. I couldn’t tell what it was about this thing I saw on the ground which was tapping on my muse, but I knew I would use it in my writing in some way. I took a picture of it to save for when I could explore that notion and see how I could turn it into an idea for a story. Or a poem.

 

Sometimes I come across things which inspire me to write a poem. Like a flower.

 

My oldest works at a preschool, and there are dozens of varieties of plants and flowers on the premises. In the past, while I waited in the car to pick him up from work, I would often look at a plant, tree or flower I was usually parked in front of or next to and write a poem about it. Then there were the times we would go out to the River House, where he once volunteered, and just staring out at the river inspired me to write a poem. The same thing happened on country drives I went on with other people or hikes out in the hills.

 

My notebook soon filled up with a bunch of these poems, which made me realize: This could be a new collection of poetry!

 

I didn’t just write poems about the nature I was exposed to, though. I also wrote poems about ecological issues. I have seen and read many videos and articles about the destruction that continues to be inflicted on our planet. I have also taken note of various tweets, newsletters, articles and social media clips shining light on the continued destruction of threatened and endangered species such as bees, owls and wolves. All of this compelled me to write poems shedding light on how these species must be saved from extinction.

 

The result is my new poetry book, Nature Therapy. During the many years I wrote this book, it has seen different titles and appeared in different shapes. In fact, the total number of poems in this book are not the amount it had when I first tried to get it published.

 

The book is called Nature Therapy because I have found that just being out in nature has been extremely therapeutic. Romps through the woods, hikes on the hills, explorations along tree-lined roads and admiring rivers, lakes, ponds and creeks have all provided me with a sense of happiness and peace. Once out in nature, my troubles often fade away, and I can just bring myself back to baseline. I can sort through my thoughts, find comfort, and glean wisdom just from being outside in nature. Among flowers, fields, woods, hills and coastal areas.

 

Because I write a lot of horror fiction and poetry, some people may be surprised that I have written a book of nature poems. I actually write whatever inspires me, and nature is just one of them. Plus, I started writing all of those poems before I started writing a lot of horror fiction and poetry. I’m not the kind of writer who likes to let her work to collect dust and remain unpublished, so when I found a publisher interested in publishing my poetry books, I took the leap and submitted this one. Many more poetry books that were written years ago are waiting their turn.

 

This experience is a reminder that even if we write more of one thing at a certain time in life, that doesn’t mean there can’t be room for other things. Just because something may not be what you “normally” write, don’t push it aside and forget about it! Write it. You just might be able to find a use for later.

 

Here is  the blurb:

A gentle reminder of the solace and inspiration that nature offers, and a perfect escape from the noise.

In "Nature Therapy," Dawn Colclasure crafts a collection that's both raw and refreshingly earnest. Her poetry, like a breath of crisp morning air, taps into an almost primal connection to the natural world. Colclasure's verses offer a genuine experience of the seasons shifting and the earth's quiet, persistent rhythms.

Reading this collection feels like wandering through a serene, untouched landscape—each poem is a snapshot of the simple yet profound beauty that often goes unnoticed. Colclasure doesn't just write about nature; she invites you to feel it, to revel in its purity and to recognize its relentless resilience.

"Nature Therapy" is more than just a series of poems; it's an invitation to reconnect with the world outside our windows.



Here is the book's buy link

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home