Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, September 02, 2022

Put Yourself Out There

 

“Fortune favors the bold.” If you REALLY want to get published or if it’s been your dram to get published in a particular market, then put yourself out there. Submit your manuscript, send out that query, or make that pitch. The only way to get one step closer to achieving your goal is actually taking that first step and get started.

 

When I first started out as a freelance writer, I kept thinking things like “I will never get published there.” Or “my writing is not good enough for that magazine."

 

When you are confronted with this kind of negative self-talk, you have two options:

 

1. Quit

2. Keep going and try

 

Me? I chose to keep going and try. I submitted manuscripts and sent queries. I may have received rejections, but at least I gave it a shot!

 

And you know what happened after I received those rejections? I tried again! Sometimes I even tried again at the same market. (Some of my acceptances for these markets came after they had rejected me once or twice.)

 

The only way you can get published is to ACTUALLY try to get published. Don’t feel too intimidated to submit your work. Get it out there and find a home for it somewhere.

 

Getting your work published is better than keeping it locked away in the desk drawer.

 

If you want to get published, take the leap and submit your work. And if you get rejected, submit your work again!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home