Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Muse was upon me!

Most of the time, when I sit down to write fiction, I will get into a "zone" where I’m totally absorbed in the story. The whole story just comes to life for me. This can happen to any writer of fiction, which is actually a good thing because it helps the writer to write their story so well. The story is so vivid, so realistic, that we write everything because it’s like we are really THERE watching everything happen.

This happens to me when I write fiction, yes, but never has it happened as strongly as it did today.

Today, when I sat down to work on the third draft of Book 3 in The GHOST Group series, I already had an idea of what happened in my head. I also had notes about what was supposed to happen in the first chapter. I just sat at the desk thinking, OK, time to give this manuscript another go!


But the minute my fingers touched the keys, something magical happened. Everything all around me suddenly faded away and I was THERE, in my story world, right among my characters.

The scene came to life! And all of a sudden, I was furiously typing at the keyboard, my fingers pounding away at the keys as I described the scene, wrote out my characters’ dialogue and narrated what happened.

It was like I was right in the middle of it all, and I … could not … pull myself … AWAY!

Even more than that, I couldn’t even SEE what I was typing! I just went nonstop at the keyboard as I “watched” the chapter unfold.

Then, after I finished typing that chapter, I looked at what was on the screen. There were actually a lot of typos and I cringed over how many words I misspelled or neglected to capitalize. But I was still able to read it. That was the important thing.

And after that euphoric writing episode, I still had pieces of the chapter playing out in my head. But I’ll never forget how I just lost myself when typing out that chapter. I really was in my story and, for that moment, everything had been so real.

Later, as I sat reflecting over this, I couldn’t help but think of what an amazing experience that was. It was the most amazing experience I have had while writing fiction. I had a huge smile on my face as I said to myself, “That was awesome!”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home