Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Next Big Thing, Take 3

Welcome to the NEXT BIG THING blog hop! This is a fantastic new way for readers to discover authors they may not find in their local bookstore.

Thanks to Lillie Ammann for inviting me to participate in the Blog Hop. In this BIG BLOG HOP, I’ll answer ten questions about my current work in progress. You can learn a little more about my writing.  Then check out the links below this post to my fellow authors at their blogs to find out more about their works in progress.



Here is my Next Big Thing!



1: What is the working title of your book?

The official title is Wandering Soul. It is a poetry book.


2: Where did the idea come from for the WIP?

I wanted to do a “big book” of poetry. When I changed my mind about what to do with the out-of-print title Take My Hand, I had A LOT of leftover poems to figure out something to do with. I decided to turn it into a collection of poems about personal things from my life, some personal experiences as well as some of my most favorite poems. Some poems were also inspired by my grandmothers as well as my mother. In fact, I wrote the poem “Wandering Soul” after reflecting on how my mother spent so much of her adulthood moving from one home to the next. I chose it as the title for the book as a way of remembering my mother.


3: What genre does your book come under?

Poetry, Christian, inspirational.


4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Pass – no characters.


5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

The voice of a poet that captures life, love and compassion.


6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

I submitted the manuscript to one of my publishers, an indie press.



7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It’s hard to remember. I do know it took me several months to put the whole book together.


8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Pass.

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?

After the original Wandering Soul manuscript was rejected, I decided to “operate” on it. I took out the first 42 poems in it and had them published as a revised version of the out-of-print book, and I gave it the new title Follow That Dream. What was left over was what I used to start putting together what became the new Wandering Soul manuscript.



10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?


Some of the poems are meant to be funny, so I hope readers will get a nice laugh over them. Some of them carry warnings about the dangers of abusive relationships as well as drunk driving. And one of the poems pays tribute to 9/11. A Girl Scout troupe actually put that poem on a bookmark!


Here is a list of the authors who will post their Q&A on their own blogs. Be sure to click through to their blogs and find out about their NEXT BIG THING!

Tara Chevrestt

Shanna Groves

Anne H. Petzer

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home