Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Thank you, Girl Scout Troop #2056!

In August, I received an email from a girl named Lilly who is a member of a Girl Scout troop. Her troop was doing a special project as part of trying to win a Silver Award. Their project was dedicating two park benches in a local park as part of the 10th anniversary of September 11th. They were dedicating two park benches and their theme was "Sit and Reflect." They wanted to do something special for this occasion.

Lilly contacted me because she found my 9/11 poem, "They Were Our Neighbors," on the Internet and she and her troop really liked the poem. They asked for permission to put my poem on a bookmark they would hand out to people at the dedication ceremony on September 11, 2011. Of course, I said yes, and as a former Girl Scout myself, I commended her and her troop for their efforts to do something special for their community. I thought their idea was fantastic and let them know I was cheering them on.

Later, I received an update email about their progress. They were having fun creating the bookmarks and attached photos of the occasion. It was so awesome to see their idea coming together for them! And, I felt really honored to be a part of something so special.

I just received the bookmarks in the mail and I was taken aback by how beautiful they turned out. I had tears in my eyes as I read both Lilly's and her mother's letters about the ceremony. The Poet Laureate Mary Louise Cox attended the ceremony and she asked the crowd in attendance if I was among them. (Sadly, I could not make it out there.) Lilly told me that Ms. Cox commented on the poem, saying she liked it. "Ms. Cox said to please tell you that from one poet to another she thinks your poem is beautiful!!"

I was so touched by this experience. Lilly even sent along an online printing of the article that was written about this occasion, along with photos. This has to be probably the biggest focal point in my experiences writing poetry. This is a really big deal for me and I am so grateful that a poem I posted on the Internet in 2003 turned out to be something that touched the hearts and lives of so many.

They sent me some of the bookmarks; they ran out of all of the rest at the ceremony! I hope they will be able to create more because my daughter wants to give some to her teacher and friends.

Thank you, Girl Scout Troop #2056, for doing such a generous and meaningful project for your community. Thank you for using my poem for your bookmarks. And thank you for doing something so special in honor of those who were lost on that day. Congratulations on winning the Silver Award. Many blessings and lots of cheers to you all!!!






Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 11:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a wonderful honor. Glad it touched so many lives. and congrats!

     
  • At 10:14 PM , Anonymous LIllie Ammann said...

    How wonderful, Dawn. Congratulations and thanks to you for sharing your poem, and thanks to the Girls Scouts for what they did.

     
  • At 10:12 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Alyice: Thank you so much. :) Yes, this was a very special experience for me and I am grateful for this.

     
  • At 10:12 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Lillie: Thank you. :) I am very grateful to them for coming up with something as wonderful as this and for using my poem.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home