Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Saturday, March 09, 2013

Youth Art Month young artist interview with Jennifer Wilson

March is Youth Art Month and, to celebrate, I will be interviewing four very talented young artists. These four young artists have one thing in common: They have all had their work published by GMTA Publishing. This is one of the things I love about GMTA; they are very open to working with young writers and illustrators. GMTA is a very big supporter of young writers and artists and I am thrilled they have published the work of four very special young ladies. (Don’t feel left out, guys; I hope by the same time next year I will be able to feature some young male artists for Youth Art Month 2014!).

The first young artist I am featuring is my daughter, Jennifer Wilson. Jennifer has been drawing since she was very young and her art first appeared in the book she co-wrote with me, Dogs Forever! Poems for the Dog Person







Welcome, Jennifer!


How old are you?

I'm 11 years old.

How long have you been creating art?

I'm not sure, maybe when I could hold a pencil? My mom says when I first made a picture when I was 2 so about 9 years?

What kind of art do you do?

I like to do many different kinds of art; abstract, animal art, cartoons, and Manga. I try my best to draw actual people but I never can. OH! I sometimes also do still life or painting and crafts too.

Who has inspired you as an artist?

Vincent Van Gogh, of course!

Where do you get your ideas for your work?

Sometimes from things people say, or from games I play or my brain just comes up with something all of a sudden.

Who are some of your favorite artists?

Vincent Van Gogh and Leonardo Da Vinci

What type of art do you like to do the most and why?

I like drawing animals best because I love animals and I just have a passion for it.




An illustration in the book Jennifer wrote and illustrated, Sarah's Special Angel



How long did you practice your art before you decided to go pro?

About 8 years.

What kind of advice or tips do you have for other young artists?

Never give up and don't doubt yourself. If you give up, how will you ever embrace your dream of being an artist? And if you doubt yourself, you'll never reach your full potential.

What do you do when you are blocked and can't create any art?


I take it easy for a while and just forget about it. And when I'm ready to get back in, I just jump right in.

What kind of art are you working on right now?

Animal art. I have to work on drawing wolves for my mom's book.

Do you have anything coming out we can look forward to seeing? Where and when?

A poem book Mom and I wrote together. It's called Satyrs Are Cool, and it’s coming out on July 24th, I think.

What are some of your goals for your art?

To get my art in a museum and to have everyone know my name because of my art!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home