Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Monday, May 18, 2009

Not enough words

Lately, I've been grappling with writing articles that have too many words. They're too long, over the limit, and I am pulling my hair out trying to trim and edit them until they are A: Decent articles and B: Within the word count limit.

So I've been doing A LOT of that lately. Imagine my shock when I actually had one this evening that was too short.

That's right; TOO SHORT! Yowza!

How on earth did THAT happen?? HOW is it possible that I actually ended up writing something that was not, WAS NOT, too long or wordy??

So when I tried to bring it up to the maximum amount of words allowed -- because I always TRY to push that envelope, ya know -- I just let that superfluous writer within run free. Go ahead and break contractions. Go ahead and add extra details. Go ahead and be WORDY.

And I gotta admit...after ALL this time of whipping my articles into shape.....deleting words, sentences and entire paragraphs just to cut down on the word count...it felt a little weird that, for once, I didn't have to do that.

For once, instead of deleting words, I was adding them. And adding them and adding them.

Strange feeling, that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are becoming a natural automatic editor, thats good! Always say the most with the least amount of words.

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thanks, Nancy! That's actually a pretty good tip. And, you know, I think you're right, because it happened again yesterday! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home