Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Saturday, March 25, 2023

New Book Explores Just How Healthy a Writing Habit Can Be


 

In the year 2020, sometime after the pandemic hit, I was at the end of my rope. In addition to coping with so many people I knew and loved either getting COVID-19 or passing away from it, I lost my job and things seemed to only get worse as the months went by. I started to lose hope. I dreaded waking up the next day to learn about what new disaster had struck. I was and still am a recovering alcoholic, but I was tempted to start drinking again. (Thankfully, I resisted!) I felt useless, powerless and helpless. The future began to look very bleak – if there was going to be a future at all.

 

Then something wonderful happened.

 

After over two years of being unable to write, the day came when I picked up a pen, grabbed a notebook, and started writing again. Writing was the one thing I knew I could rely on, and it ended up being the only thing which, at that time, brought joy into my life again.

 

Writing made me happy. As page after page of that notebook started to fill up with words, I started to feel better about myself – and the possibility of an actual future. While the world was ending, I tried to keep it all going for just one more day by writing.

 

Not only did writing allow me to pick myself up off the floor, but, later on in life, it also helped me come to terms with certain traumas from my past. I was reading a book which shared information about keeping a “trauma journal.” Apparently, this kind of journal helped A LOT of people who survived trauma, just from writing all about it. I was intrigued and wanted to learn more about just how writing could provide other kind of health and emotional benefits to people.

 

I threw myself into researching this topic. The result was my new ebook, Write for Your Life! The Health Benefits of Writing.

 

In my research, I discovered the psychological, emotional and spiritual benefits many people have reaped from writing, either by using guided writing in therapy, random writing sessions with freewriting, timed writing sessions or normal writing activities. Not only this, but writing itself allowed many people facing disease and illness eventually regain their health and improve their sense of wellness. Their blood pressure went down, cholesterol levels dropped and cognitive skills improved. Writing soon became a passion for these individuals, and the more they wrote, the better they felt and the better their health improved.

 

Writing that book was definitely an eye-opener. I never knew the health benefits of writing! However, as someone who was able to write again only when my world seemed to be falling apart, and being better off for it, I can see and understand how writing can have a positive impact on someone’s life. I am so glad I followed my curiosity and researched this topic. I am also glad I was able to write a short book about it! This book may not be an exhaustive discussion on the health benefits of writing, but I hope it will serve as a good introduction to people who are interested in how they can improve their health.

 

The best part? Writing is FREE.

 

Here is the book’s blurb:

 

Have you ever felt better after writing down all of those feelings you kept bottled up? Is your journal your go-to every time life gets a little too stressful? Does writing fiction allow you the opportunity to escape from the harsh realities of life?

 

There's a very good reason why you turn to these methods of writing when you have nothing else to use and no one to go to for relief: Writing can help improve your health. Studies have found that the act of writing has helped people improve their mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health. Not only this, but the habit of writing has helped improve cognitive skills and otherwise increased a person's overall intellectual health.

 

If you're looking for a low-cost method to help you cope with stress, anxiety and fear, why not turn to something that is available to you 24/7/365? Writing can help improve your overall health and it provides you with a way to boost your creativity. Write for Your Life! shares just what kind of health benefits await you just from adding the writing habit to your life.

 

Buy link 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home