Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Youth Art Month young artist interview with Rhianna J. Bullard

March is Youth Art Month and, to celebrate, I will be interviewing four very talented young artists. These four young artists have one thing in common: They have all had their work published by GMTA Publishing. This is one of the things I love about GMTA; they are very open to working with young writers and illustrators. GMTA is a very big supporter of young writers and artists and I am thrilled they have published the work of four very special young ladies. (Don’t feel left out, guys; I hope by the same time next year I will be able to feature some young male artists for Youth Art Month 2014!).

The second young artist I am featuring is Rhianna J. Bullard. I was first introduced to the work of this young artist when I saw the cover for the children's book, Alfred, A Timber Wolf's Tale. Her mother Kitty Bullard, co-founder of GMTA Publishing, has shared some other art her daughter has done with the group. I am thrilled to include this talented young artist in my series for Youth Art Month.



Welcome, Rhianna!

How old are you?

12

How long have you been creating art? 

Since I was in Pre-K. I started drawing and never stopped. It’s become one of my most favorite things to do.

What kind of art do you do? 


Drawing and painting. I love to draw dragons and horses, those are my favorites. I’ve never been good at drawing people I guess because I just like animals so much!

Who has inspired you as an artist? 

Cornelia Funke, I love her illustrations. But I mostly like to draw my own stuff. I can’t think of anyone that actually inspires me.

Where do you get your ideas for your work?

Dreams. I always have really cool dreams of dragons and other mythical creatures. I love legendary animals.

Who are some of your favorite artists?

Cornelia Funke, and other fantasy artists. Brian Froud is another favorite of mine. My mom told me he did a lot of the art for movies I like, like Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal.

What type of art do you like to do the most and why?


I love drawing mythical creatures the most but also horses.  I think I just like them more because they are different and I usually end up making my own creatures as well.

How long did you practice your art before you decided to go pro?

I practiced a long time. I still do. I didn’t do a professional piece until I was 11, that was the cover for an author of my mom’s named Randall L. Emery for his book Alfred, a Timber Wolf’s Tale. I’m much better at drawing now though than I was even then.


Cover art Rhianna created for Alfred, A Timber Wolf's Tale


Copyright © Rhianna J. Bullard


Copyright © Rhianna J. Bullard


Copyright © Rhianna J. Bullard


Copyright © Rhianna J. Billard


What kind of advice or tips do you have for other young artists?

I would tell them to always keep drawing and practice a lot. It’s not only fun and a good hobby but you never know what it may lead to someday. You could be drawing for a huge company.

What do you do when you are blocked and can't create any art?

I read, and watch movies. I usually get ideas from that as well and it helps me if I can’t think of things to draw. Sometimes I just ask my mom to tell me something to draw.

What kind of art are you working on right now? 

Right now I’m working on my very first acrylic painting of a dragon. When I get it done I’ll have my mom put it on my blog.

Do you have anything coming out we can look forward to seeing? Where and when? 

I am working on my first novel. I plan to try and do illustrations for it as well as the cover. I can’t wait, of course it will be a dragons!

What are some of your goals for your art?

I would like to be a professional drawer one day. I love doing covers and illustrations so maybe that’s what I’ll do!

Rhianna’s Site Link: http://theworldofrhianna.blogspot.com/
(Coming Soon)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home