Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Why write? Guest blog post by Matt Frend

Fellow Great Minds Think Aloud Publishing author Matt Frend has a book out today, LIFE BEFORE DEATH. To celebrate the occasion, he is sharing a guest post on my blog today. My reasons for writing are as varied as the desire to get stories in my head onto paper (or the screen) and because it's something I feel that I must do. Something that I am called to do. In this guest post, Matt puts a reason for writing into perspective and really hits home on why we toil and labor at our art day after day.

Welcome, Matt! Congratulations on your book.







SYNOPSIS:

There’s something you need to know - there's more to life than living. A road trip across the wilds of the Northern Territory, Australia, is a spirited ride through late-twentieth century Australian counter culture. Then an event occurs which gives an insight into the other side of life itself, and provides a message. A message which resolves the ultimate unknown – why are we here?


The book is available as a Kindle here.


Why write?

By Matt Frend


Why write?

Why not play music, make a film or be a game developer. The key for me is imagination. Although music, film and gaming have their own magic, giving people the recipes to make their own imaginary banquets is something special again.

In a sense, characters belong to the reader as well as the writer, much like having acquaintances whose actions of course we have little control over. I like to think I write with respect for the reader in mind. I don’t feel this is in conflict with an artistic commitment to be free of popular or commercial influences; it’s more of a guideline to assist with staying within the bounds of reason or good taste. I sometimes have to rein the fast gallop back to a working trot, listening instead to the reader looking over my shoulder.

When I start reading a novel I feel there’s a bond of trust I’m entering into – an expectation that I’ll be going on a journey with the writer at the helm. So now in return I aspire to meet that expectation when I write.

As a side note to this, Life Before Death had its own motivation for being written. It was more out of loyalty than fulfilling any personal dream. It is a heavily fictionalized memoir, the purpose of which is to deliver the primary message contained in the book.

I make no excuses for the controversial nature of its content. It’s life as it happened. Much like that saying, life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

One benefit writing a novel has given me is a goal to keep on writing after finding I enjoy it so much. Unlocking the imagination and finding an outlet for it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my altogether too short life. The bouncy puppy of inspiration must be played with or it will burst.

I highly recommend writing in all its forms to anyone – keeping a diary; jotting down a simple rhyme - even scribbling away with your personal history as I have done. Apart from being a lot of fun it can have a therapeutic effect.

I am very thankful for it.


BIO: Matt Frend has lived in the cities of Adelaide and Darwin, and assorted country towns in Australia. In addition to extended periods conducting social research while unemployed, he has worked in a variety of areas including racing stables, factories, construction sites and farms, before most recently attending university and becoming a computer programmer. He regards himself not as a horse lover, but a horse lifer. He has a particular affinity for thoroughbreds, and has been involved with dressage and eventing at the grass roots level. Other interests have included surfing, cycling, and he is an avid music fan.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home