Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Six submissions in six months

The previous blog post on my plans to submit the haunted cities book got me thinking: How will these plan affect certain other plans I have for the year concerning OTHER manuscripts that I plan to submit? Yes, I do actually plan to submit more than one manuscript this year.

In fact, I have six.

These are six manuscripts that I have either completed and left to sit on my hard drive or they are revisions of previous submissions. Before the year started, I went over which manuscripts I have ready or nearly-ready to go. Or which ones I REALLY want to be done with!

The list ended up containing these manuscripts:

Book 2 in The GHOST Group series
The revised draft of Shadow of Samhain
Wandering Soul (poetry book)
A Ghost on Every Corner (haunted cities)
The first Revisions book
The revised draft of The Ghost of Sarah Travers

Putting this list together helped me to time when I would submit these manuscripts. I grabbed my dayplanner and figured out the dates that would be ideal to submit each one. And it looks pretty good to me; I’ll be sending out 6 different manuscripts to 3 different publishers until June. Last month, I submitted Book 2 in The GHOST Group series (it very likely won’t see publication until next year, as it’s going to need some serious work to get it written in the same style the revised draft of Book 1 will be written in). This month, I’m sending out the poetry book. And next month? Out goes the first book in the Revisions series.

Putting together this list has taken a weight off my shoulders. I’ve been stressing over getting revisions and edits done over a bunch of manuscripts at once, but now with this list, I can space them out and not worry about getting them ready to go RIGHT NOW.

Also, not all of these books will see print this year, but the important thing is that they are Done. Submitted. And just might see print NEXT year. (Some may see print this year, and my charity ebook is indeed slated for publication this year.)This has made me think about what I can expect to see happen NEXT year, and of course I’m all excited about the prospect of these books eventually getting published in the year ahead. (Yay!)

So, there we have it. Six manuscript submissions for the first six months of 2012. Got the first one sent off; pretty soon I’ll be sending out the next one.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I *love* this plan, and can't wait to see it unroll as the months pass!

     
  • At 12:47 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thank you! :) I suppose I should update on how these submissions turn out. I just got tired of seeing these manuscripts collect dust on the hard drive and some people have been WAITING for others to come out, so I had to get the ball rolling on getting them ready to go! I have four more to submit next year and four more in 2014!! Gonna be busy with books for a while. And YOU!! Doing 12 books in 12 months! That's impressive and I can't wait to see them all! Looks like we'll both be "book busy" for a while there. LOL Thank you for commenting! **hugs**

     
  • At 4:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Eeeeep! I'm scared about doing 12 in 12 again. The first time I did it (in 2010), it was a stretch and I almost didn't pull it off. This year I have a better plan, though, so I think it's a little more feasible. Yes, it does look like you and I are going to be "book busy buddies" this year! I'll probably refer to you as my "busy book buddy" on my blog from time to time. heheh :D

     
  • At 10:57 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    You can do it, Jenn! And a plan is a good thing. At least NOW you know what mistakes to avoid, right? I'm actually thinking of doing this, too, maybe next year. So you better let us all know how it turns out! :) And I like that. "Busy book buddy." Hee-hee. We can cheer each other on!

     
  • At 11:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    *pom poms* You can count on me cheering you along! I'm in the process of working on book 2 in my 12 in 12 plan, and am kicking myself for not finishing it sooner. It's part of the learning process, though - timing, planning, organizing, etc. :o)

     
  • At 11:23 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thanks, Jenn. Good luck! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home