Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Too tired to write, or read

Last week was pretty hard for me. Before school started for the kids again, we all enjoyed being night owls. That’s what we are! During the school year, the kids and I are forced to cage our night owls until Friday nights when the one day of the week we can stay up all night won’t be a problem for the next day. But it seems like my own night owl refused to go back into his cage after school started up again.

Because, as it were, I was sleepy for most of the day. At night, however, I’d be wide awake! (On a sidenote, I jokingly started to wonder if I was turning into a vampire!)

Yes, I know this could have been avoided if we had worked on integrating the school year schedule long before school started again, and we did do that. But I guess we should have worked on that longer.

Well, because I was so tired this week, I hardly got any writing done. That was bad news because I had a SIGNews article due this week! Didn’t want to miss that deadline. But, unfortunately, I did. And writing at night was not an option because I ended up getting the kids to bed later than I had hoped (after 9) and I had to get some sleep, too, in order to wake up early to get them ready and off to school.

The thing of it was, even when the kids were in school, I still couldn’t write or read. I was still so tired. Even when I took a nap for one hour, I’d STILL be tired! Or soon tired out again.

I was just way too tired to write last week. Or even read in a book I am currently reviewing. I tried to think of why I was so tired all the time. Was it the weather? The season? Was it too much sugar? Not enough water or iron?

Come to find out it was none of those things. The real reason was, I just wasn’t getting enough sleep!

I tested this theory last night. I made sure I got a good night’s sleep. I got to bed as soon as I was able to and slept well past the time I normally wake up. I usually sleep in on Saturdays, anyway, but this time, this sleeping in really helped me to recharge. I think that was because I didn’t stay up so late on Friday night like I normally do. I needed to catch up on all the sleep I missed.

And, today,. I am happy to report that I am me again! I am wide awake now and completely refreshed. Hooray!

I wrote my SIGNews article and sent it off. Now I’m ready to get back to the revisions on my manuscript, and maybe even some writing in another book project.

It’s good to finally be able to write – AND read – again. All the same, I have definitely learned that it’s time for an adjustment. It’s so important to get enough sleep, especially the children, and I’m going to have to rework our routine to make sure we get the rest we need.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 12:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ugh, I've traveled this road and it's NOT a fun journey! I'm glad you resolved it, though. I'm still fighting the battle, but coffee (so long as it isn't TOO strong) helps me LOT. LOL

     
  • At 8:09 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Coffee is a good thing to have on hand for times like this. :) I usually drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning but maybe another cup later in the day would help. This type of thing can REALLY hold things up and I don't like that at all. It was a bad week but I hope next week will be better.

     
  • At 11:25 AM , Blogger Jana B said...

    I'm having the same problem... normally I just adjust to changing school schedules by taking NyQuil or Benadryl until my body adjusts... but this semester I have been taking my husband to work in the middle of the night, so medication is out. A week into the new schedule, and I'm still barely getting up on time and not being functional during the day. Dang. I hate that!!!!

     
  • At 9:40 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    I'm sorry to hear that, Jana. This kind of adjustment takes a while, unfortunately. I have been having a better week this week, though. Not so gosh darn tired all the time and able to get more work done. I hope you get through this adjustment ASAP! Take care, and thank you for commenting.

     
  • At 9:38 AM , Blogger Joleene Naylor said...

    Glad you're getting back to normal :) I wish I was - LOL!

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thanks, Jo. LOL What is "normal" anyway?? ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home