Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Sunday, December 11, 2011

My writing goals for 2012

The other day, I took the time to look over the kind of writing work I have done for the year. I wasn’t planning on doing this just yet, as I still have a few things I need to wrap up for the year, but I think it’s as good a time as any to reflect on what I have done as a writer in 2011 and what I want to do as a writer in 2012.

For one thing, I know I won’t be a “working writer” so much in 2012. Yes, I’ll continue writing for SIGNews, of course, but as far as bringing in any money is concerned, I don’t want it to be as a writer. I want to do other things. I just feel like it’s time to focus on something else to bring in that income next year. I have no idea what that will be, but I do know that is a sure thing.

And speaking of money, I went over my financial records for the year. To say the least, it’s definitely impressive. I made more this year than I did last year. And while I made an impressive amount as an editor and proofreader, I won’t be doing any editing or proofreading next year. That stuff takes up A LOT of my time and I just feel I need to step away from that for a while. I am grateful for the work I had and time will tell if I decide to go back to it in the future.

Another thing I noted while examining my financial records is that I got paid for A LOT of articles I wrote for Demand Media, and not so many from magazines. Or E-zines, e-newsletters, web sites, newspapers, etc. I have no regrets in having the experience of writing for a content mill, but I DO regret putting so much time, energy and focus into it, instead of other publications. (Seriously, where’s the love for Writing For DOLLARS! or Writing World???) So I want THAT to be the focus in 2012. I am still going to write articles and occasionally submit them, but not as a job (got some books I gotta promote, after all!).

One other thing I know I want to do next year is “spread my wings,’ so to speak, as a writer. I’ve decided that it’s time to stop talking about learning how to write a script or getting my song lyrics out there and JUST DO IT, already! That said, I'm keeping an eye out for any classes, online courses and workshops I can take to learn that stuff and go somewhere with it. My goal for 2012 is to write at least ONE script, so I am going to move forward with that instead of sitting around mumbling, “Maybe someday.” (My motto for 2012 is “Someday is today.”)

Now, as to my book goals for next year, I have put together a list of books I’m going to be revising/editing, as well as a new poetry book I’ll be working on time permitting. (I just finished one poetry book and now I’m jumping into another one. Whee!) I am also planning to collaborate on
two books next year, and I am excited about both projects. One is a novel with fellow Gypsy Shadow Publishing author Ashley Blazina and another is a new paranormal book with Martha Jette, who I worked with on the haunted houses book. Yay! I have also penciled in when I’ll be submitting the final drafts of the following manuscripts: The new poetry book (which is done), the haunted cities book (I’m still waiting to hear from certain groups), the new Shadow of Samhain (got ideas for the rewrite!) and the second book in The GHOST Group series (also done). I have figured out a certain amount of time to work on each project and I’ll be handling two at a time (during the year, I’ve been working on three books at a time! GAH!). I have broken it all up into clusters and it looks really good. It also looks like I will finally have some breathing room, too. That will be nice!!

So, that about wraps it up. Those are my writing goals for 2012. Maybe it’s just as well that I have completed this task now, because now I need to work on my personal goals for 2012. I look forward to a new year starting for us soon and what new adventures and journeys it will bring!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home