Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Sunday, September 14, 2008

MySpace and the power of networking

I have a love-hate relationship with MySpace.com. On one hand, it's a good way to keep in touch with others and you don't need to worry about missing out on bulletins posted while asleep because the bulletins last for 10 days. On the other hand, though, it's a playground for hackers, spammers and overall irritable people who think I'm on MySpace looking to score or meet up. (*rolls eyes*)

It is also really annoying when people on there post bulletins that are all, "ME! ME! ME! Look at ME!!!" Granted, I realize we all need to promote, but doing it again and again and again is a real grievance. It's definitely a huge gripe when people do that when a natural disaster is wrecking havoc and killing people, and they don't take a minute to post a bulletin about it or anything on their blog about rescue efforts/Red Cross relief/etc. Sorry, but I'm one of those people who CARES about stuff going on in the world!

But at the same time, I have discovered MySpace to be a useful tool when it comes to networking. Being "friends" with so many writers on MySpace moves me a step closer in trying to communicate with them, and learn about them. It also helps that, when I need a writer to interview, finding one is just a click away. Many interviews I have done have resulted from knowing people on MySpace, and many writers are happy to oblige.

It has also helped familiarize me with subjects I don't know much about. Part of being "friends" with others is reading their bulletins posted. When I friend someone involved in an industry I want to learn about, reading the bulletins they post about their industry or checking out their profiles helps clear away the confusion. This has helped when I need to write about said industry, and find people to interview for it.

Although I am deaf, I am friended with a lot of bands on MySpace. Some of the people on my profile have actually taken the time out of their busy schedules to actually TALK with me (which means I'm more than happy to include them and promote them on my page), and knowing that these very people are actually levelheaded enough to talk with their fans has helped me see that they are not ALL self-centered snobs. (And I love these guys, too! They are just awesome to communicate with. I guess it helps that a few of of them on my page are actually my neighbors!)

And speaking of music: My chick-lit manuscript includes a bunch of songs that my character listens to. Using MySpace to learn more about bands has really helped in that regard. I've included songs my musician friends have done, and I'm always reading lyrics and looking up more songs to include. (Allison gave me a list of bands to check out, too. Thanks, Als!)

Despite its shortcomings, MySpace has definitely had a lot to offer me as a writer. It has helped me find people to interview, find resources for my writing but, most of all, it has helped me, as a writer, to stay connected with other writers.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6:48 AM , Blogger colbymarshall said...

    I prefer facebook, myself...myspace is too busy -looking for my taste

     
  • At 10:12 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    MySpace is definitely a "busy" site. I wouldn't also join Facebook, though. One social networking site is enough for me. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home