Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, July 25, 2008

Make time, not excuses

It seems there is always going to be a writer somewhere saying, "I want to write, but I never have the time." I've already written countless articles and blog posts on HOW to find that time to write, so I'm not going to do a repeat on that here. Instead, I had to take pause over a comment one writer made about how these very same writers are quick to make excuses NOT to write, instead of making time to write.

Now this is true. There are writers who complain they don't have time to write yet, meanwhile, they're spending hours watching TV or chatting online or putting unimportant stuff at the top of their list.

There are also writers who say things like "I don't feel like writing" and use THAT as an excuse not to write. Or they think, 'Gee, my work sucks, I don't think I'll write today.' Or, "I got a rejection. I need to go curl up in a corner and cry."

The point is, if you want to write, write! Make time to write, not excuses NOT to write. Take the free time you have or the time you'd normally spend watching TV or fooling around on the Internet, and use it to write. Make time to write, and use it!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:43 PM , Blogger colbymarshall said...

    I get so aggravated when people hear I'm a writer, so they adopt a wistful tone and say, "I've always wanted to do that." I just want to say, "So do it! There wasn't a law decreeing you can't put a pen to paper that I haven't heard about, is there?"

     
  • At 6:21 PM , Blogger Amy Hanek said...

    I absolutely agree!!!

    I decided a year and a half ago to just begin writing. I had always WANTED to. Three months later, I had a contract to write a regional ghost book and today I am freelancing in local magazines and for the newspaper.

    Writing the ghost book has been a challenge. I have had to make time - like you said. This ensures progress - something that doesn't happen easily.

     
  • At 12:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Are you talking about me? ha ha
    well I have to admit I have never read a single one of your articles and blogs about making time to write, they were all simply too long and it was cutting into my writing time!!!
    Just teasing!
    I agree with what you say here, and I make time every single day to write. My biggest aggravation is not in the writing process but in the finding of agents and publishers process. That part is taxing on the mind and spirit.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home