Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Endings and beginnings


I know this is my “writing blog,” but this particular blog post is not about endings and beginnings as it relates to writing. Actually, it has to do with certain things coming to an end and new things that will be a beginning for me.

Today is the last day of March. Another month has come to an end and, with it, some other things have come to an end, as well. Some of it’s bad, some of it’s good. They are definitely things that I accept all the same.

The sad news is that I resigned from my post as promotions representative for the children’s books published by GMTA Publishing. This has been an amicable parting and I wish Kitty Bullard and GMTA the very best.

Unfortunately, because of changes the company has made, my contracts for books published by GMTA, as well as future books, have been terminated. The books I have published with GMTA are Dogs Forever: Poems forthe Dog Person, Follow That Dream and A Million Doughnuts. My daughter, Jennifer Wilson, also has a book published by GMTA called Sarah’s SpecialAngel. This contract has also been terminated. However, I have been assured that the books will stay available for purchase on Amazon until the end of April.

Another thing that came to an end this month is actually something I am happy about: I have finally finished writing the poems for my next poetry book, the one for the soldiers. Yeah! I am very happy I finally completed this book and look forward to getting it published in the near future.

Now for some new beginnings for me.

One of these new beginnings is a new poetry book I will be writing next month. I figured I would write a poetry book for National Poetry Month, and since I completed one poetry book, and tomorrow is the start of National Poetry Month, I’ll begin that new poetry book tomorrow. Yay!

Another new beginning is one I am very nervous about, as well as a little scared. I am going to start self-publishing all of my poetry books. I feel it is time to do this. It’s just the better route for me to take. I did try self-publishing once and it did not work out very well. But there are so many other authors out there who have been very supportive and encouraging about this that I feel I’ll be able to accomplish this and find my way through it. (Thank you, everyone! You’re great!)

Another new beginning is that I am going to get involved in the children’s literacy program. I mean, more involved than I had before. Before, it was just bits and pieces. But now it’s time to become more active in that department. I don’t know how, exactly, I will be able to do that, but I am confident that I will find something. There is actually a local program and I am thinking of starting there.

These are new and exciting times. Yes, there has been some bad news here, but also good news, too. I am ready to move forward with these changes and so is Jennifer. We both had our cry over it and blew off a bit of steam. But now we are stronger and ready to move on. We are grateful for the experiences we have had and look forward to seeing bigger things happen as a result of these new beginnings.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Dawn - You have such a wonderful, positive attitude and from the sounds of things you're more than ready to face the new challenges ahead. The world is an exciting place - there's lots to do and see, people to meet and you have to much that's wonderful to share with others. Kudos to you and Jennifer - keep writing, keep loving the world! KateXXXXX

     
  • At 10:56 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thank you so much, Kate! You are awesome!! I really appreciate your concern and support. And thank you for your emails, too. Jennifer and I will move forward. These are new and exciting times and I am grateful for all of the support and advice everyone has offered.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home