Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Youth Art Month young artist interview with Joely Casavant

March is Youth Art Month and, to celebrate, I will be interviewing four very talented young artists. These four young artists have one thing in common: They have all had their work published by GMTA Publishing. This is one of the things I love about GMTA; they are very open to working with young writers and illustrators. GMTA is a very big supporter of young writers and artists and I am thrilled they have published the work of four very special young ladies. (Don’t feel left out, guys; I hope by the same time next year I will be able to feature some young male artists for Youth Art Month 2014!).

The fourth and final young artist I am featuring in this series is Joely Casavant. Her aunt, Lee-Ann Graff-Vinson, is the author of the Queen Emily’s Enchanted Kingdom series, published by GMTA Publishing, and I was introduced to Joely’s work when I read the second book in the series, Litterbug. I am thrilled to include this talented young artist in my series for Youth Art Month.




Welcome, Joely!


How old are you?

15

How long have you been creating art?

I've always been drawing and such, but when I was 13, I took an art class in school and began using other mediums which really broadened my abilities. I would consider this when I began creating art, 2 years ago.

What kind of art do you do?

I love to paint and draw portraits for the most part.

Who has inspired you as an artist?

Too many people to count! Lots I have known personally though, and have looked up to them for their great skills.

Where do you get your ideas for your work?

I like to look for something inspiring, usually in music, and picture something I could make. I also just have ideas pop into my head when looking at photos of people about a nice portrait I could make.

Who are some of your favorite artists?

I'd have to say my favorite artists are Emily Carr and Andy Warhol.

What type of art do you like to do the most and why?

Really, I love trying new things as I'm still learning all of what there is out there.

How long did you practice your art before you decided to go pro?

I hadn't been working very long on my art before being asked to illustrate Litterbug (Queen Emily's Enchanted Kingdom), only maybe a year. But I've always been rather good at drawing, and loved the idea!



A sample picture Joely created for the book, Queen Emily's Enchanted Kingdom: Litterbug, authored by Lee-Ann Graff-Vinson. Illustration copyright 2012 by Joely Casavant.


What kind of advice or tips do you have for other young artists?

Just keep trying! The more you practice, the better it gets.

What do you do when you are blocked and can't create any art?

I usually just take a break, and I wait for it to come to me. Forcing myself to make something never ends up turning out good!

What kind of art are you working on right now?

I just finished a portrait of Twiggy in my school art class, and I'm beginning a project where I'll be making a piece of art from pieces of garbage.

Do you have anything coming out we can look forward to seeing? Where and when?

Not at the moment, unfortunately.

What are some of your goals for your art?

I'd like to paint a nice realistic landscape scene, which is quite hard for me! Hopefully I'll conquer that soon.
 




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home