Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Sunday, October 16, 2011

A week of interviews

Writers need to be ready for anything, whether it’s an impromptu interview (which is why it’s a good idea to know what questions you’ll ask before you request the interview) or if it’s an idea striking out of the blue (which is why it’s a good idea to keep pen and paper handy). The same goes for authors: Be ready for anything.

In my case, I had to be ready to answer interview questions last week. Quite a lot of them, actually.

I had quite a few interview requests lined up, so I took the time last week to answer all the interview questions. Some interviews went live immediately after I responded with answers, and some interviewers noted it would be a while before the interview went up. In fact, one interview won’t go up until sometime next year.

These interview requests came about because of two things: My networking with other authors and opportunities I saw for author interviews. Of course, with two books coming out soon, I had to grab these opportunities. They were a chance to talk about my books!

It was a lot of work going from one interview to the next, but so worth it. I have a chance to spread the word about my books (yay!) and give a heads-up on future books (yay again!). This was also a chance to offer some helpful advice to aspiring writers. Never give up, I said. Read everything you can get your hands on. Be persistent! This also gave me a sense of gratification.

Plus, I was grateful that all the interviews were through email. Made it a lot easier to think about, edit and rearrange my answers before the interviewer got them.

This experience was very interesting. I’ve been interviewed before, but I’ve never had so many lined up in one week. Also, I am used to being the interviewer, not the interviewee, so it was quite a change of place for once. I was asked some very interesting questions and was challenged to come up with interesting, if not lengthy, answers for certain scripted interviews.

Then after all was said and done, I went back to being the interviewer and worked on a couple of articles for SIGNews.

A couple of the interviews have been posted and you can read them here:

Interview at Writer’s Sanctuary.
(Thanks, Dellani!)

Interview at Steel Diamonds Publishing.

Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community
(Thanks, Kitty!)
Link
And, earlier in the month, there was another interview with me posted at Highlighted Author here.
(Thank you, Charlene.)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM , Blogger Sheila Deeth said...

    I'm heading over to read those interviews. I've certainly found it an interesting experience being interviewed too. Email definitely helps! Have fun with those exciting new releases!

     
  • At 7:15 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thank you, Sheila. :) It seems like every new interview is just as interesting as the last.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home