Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cop Talk with a Character: Guest blog post by Kathleen S. Allen


Greetings All! My name is Kathleen S. Allen. I am a writer. I have been asked to do a guest blog today. I recently had a book released and I thought it might be fun to do an interview with one of the characters. The name of the book is: IF IT’S MONDAY, IT MUST BE MURDER! Published by Gypsy Shadow. It’s available as an Ebook on Kindle/Nook/Smashwords. The book trailer is available on YouTube.

INTERVIEWER: Today we are interviewing Byron Williams, a police officer with the Beechton Police Department. He and his former partner, Mel Thompson, are working a murder investigation together.

BYRON: Detective. I am a detective.

INTERVIEWER: Sorry. Our interview today is with Detective Byron Williams. I know our audience can’t see him but let me describe him to you. He’s in his late thirties. He’s tall, just six foot, lean and buff. He told me before we started that he runs and lifts weights for exercise. He carries a gun, works in homicide and loves being a cop. He shaves his head and oils it every morning. His skin is caramel coloured and his eyes are a deep chocolate---more like a dark chocolate brown. He has long tapered fingers that look as if he should be playing piano or painting with! In short, he gorgeous!

BYRON: Okay, enough about my looks. [glares at interviewer]


INTERVIEWER: Sorry. Welcome to the blog, Byron---may I call you Byron? [he nods] Tell us a little about yourself.


BYRON: I promised Mel I’d do this interview but I’m not comfortable talking about myself. What do you need to know?

INTERVIEWER: I understand you are a cop. Tell our audience about your career choice. How did you decide to go into law enforcement?


BYRON: I grew up in an urban setting, lots of criminal element in my town. We had this small family run grocery store in our neighborhood run by a Korean family. The mom loved kids and always gave us pieces of candy when we came into the store. One day I heard sirens and ran out to see what happened, I must’ve been nine or ten. Both of them were shot by a failed robbery. I remember thinking that if I did nothing else in my life, I’d make sure the bad guys are caught. [grins] Guess I never grew out of it.

INTERVIEWER: So you’ve been a cop for how long now?

BYRON: Almost ten years.


INTERVIEWER: What would you say is your worse moment as a cop? Your best?


BYRON: One of the best was getting Mel as a partner. She’s sassy, smart and beautiful, plus she kicks butt! Or did before she got shot. That was my worse moment. I didn’t know if she was alive or dead when I heard the gunshot at a routine B&E---breaking and entering---at a strip club. I ran around back and there she was on the ground, blood everywhere. I thought I lost her. [tears up]

INTERVIEWER: How is she doing, it’s been how long since she was shot?

BYRON: A year. The bullet lodged in her back near her spinal cord so she has a lot of pain and walks with a cane. She had to quit the force and go on disability. We broke up because Mel doesn’t want to be a burden to me or anyone. [grins again] I’m trying to get her to let me back in her life.


INTERVIEWER: I understand you are helping her investigate a murder?


BYRON: Yes, her best friend’s daughter, Jessie was found at the bottom of a building on campus. The M.E.---medical examiner---ruled it a suicide but Mel thinks she was pushed off the building. She’s trying to prove it so the M.E. will rule it a homicide and then we’ll open it up as a homicide case.


INTERVIEWER: And you are helping her prove it was murder?


BYRON: Let’s just say I’m doing what a cop does. Mel’s hands are tied now that she’s off the force. I’m lending my resources to her, it’s all aboveboard and legal. [frowns]


INTERVIEWER: How is the investigation going? Is it murder or suicide?

BYRON: I can’t talk about the details. Not yet. We’re still investigating.


INTERVIEWER: I understand. Thank you for coming in today, Byron, or should I say Detective Williams. Good luck in your investigation.


BYRON: Thank you for having me.




Mel, a former cop shot in the back now lives in constant pain. When her best friend's daughter is missing, Mel is asked to help find her. When the girl is found dead at the bottom of a tall building, the cops believe she jumped. Did she? Or is it murder?

Book Trailer: http://animoto.com/play/BqOWt9Xj1HYrSOoOWGAsOw

Buy it here: http://www.gypsyshadow.com/KathleenAllen.html#Monday
Link
Buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Its-Monday-Must-Murder-ebook/dp/B005PFTW8Q/ref=sr_1_8?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1317139464&sr=1-8

Find Kathleen S. Allen:
Twitter: @kathleea
Facebook: Witch Hunter
Email: gaelicfairie(at)gmail(dot)com
Website: http://gaelicfairie.webs.com
Book Trailers on: YouTube
Represented by: Nancy Knight of Sullivan Maxx Literary Agency


Kathleen's bio: Kathleen started writing at the age of eight when she self published a book of poetry to give as gifts during the holidays. Okay, she painstakingly hand copied in her best printing her poems onto paper, used a paper punch to punch holes in the sides, made an orange construction paper book "jacket" and wrote MY POEMS on it in blue crayon, tied it with a bit of red ribbon with a very nice bow and, ta dah, her first book! She has been writing ever since. Her books are available online and in print.


Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM , Blogger Nancy Lynn Jarvis said...

    I've done an interview with my cop character where he complains about Regan McHenry, my protagonist, being an annoying amateur sleuth and most recently my cat was "interviewed" about living with a writer.
    Don't you agree writing these interviews is even more fun than writing a book?

     
  • At 11:36 AM , Blogger Kathleea said...

    Totally!!!! I love doing these!

     
  • At 3:48 PM , Blogger Aubrie said...

    Great interview! I love how he glares at the interviewer and demands to be called detective!

     
  • At 5:56 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Kathleen, thank you for stopping by. I enjoyed reading this interview with your character. Good luck with your book!

     
  • At 5:57 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thanks, Aubrie. I agree. :)

     
  • At 8:31 AM , Blogger Sheila Deeth said...

    Cool interview. They sound like great characters and you make me want to read their story.

     
  • At 8:32 AM , Blogger Gypsy Shadow Blog said...

    Fun interview! Sort of sounds like the interviewer is sweet on detective Williams. Of course, I can't blame her. (grin)

     
  • At 8:54 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thanks for the comments. Yes, I agree on both comments. The interview has definitely sparked my interest in this story.

     
  • At 9:25 PM , Blogger Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

    Just stopped in to read Sheila Deeth's guest blog and came across this article about Kathleen S Allen. Love the idea of interviewing a book character!

     
  • At 10:51 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Gail, thank you for visiting! :) Yes, it's a pretty interesting thing to do. I will have to try it sometime.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home