Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Sunday, November 01, 2009

It's that time of year again!

Happy NaNoWriMo, writers! Woot!

I'm getting started on my Nano book today. Something pretty interesting happened last night.

I have been working on creating my characters and story development for a while, and I haven't been able to come up with a last name for my main character. I had two first names and I knew one of those names were for this woman's daughter. So I figured I would use this second name for her mother. But there was no last name.


I kept trying to come up with a last name that felt right, but no luck.

Then last night, as I sat reading while waiting for the baby to fall asleep, a sudden sense of tiredness came over me. My head dropped, my eyes closed and I went into a sort of sleep state. I heard two men talking. They were just talking about how I sat there, sleeping, even though I was not really asleep. One of them kept saying the name "Beth Brown." Then it remarked how I'm "awake." Right after that, my eyes opened as my head swung up.

Hmmmm...."Beth Brown." That's not a bad name. Has a nice flow to it, actually. Yes, I could use that first name instead for my main character! Good last name. And it sounds like a good match for her daughter's name, too. Yay!

I will use the other first name for this woman's sister, who plays a crucial role in the story. This character was "present" in the creation of my story but I didn't have a name for her. I really like the name (Juliana) and wanted to use it. So I'm going to give it to the woman's sister.

So now I have the FULL character names! Time to get writing.

Happy writing, Nanoers!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 7:58 AM , Blogger LK Hunsaker said...

    Dawn, it's amazing how that stuff just talks to us, isn't it? Glad you've "found" your characters! I've only partially found mine so far.

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thanks, Loraine. :) I hope you find your characters more fully, too! I don't like to force this kind of thing. Because I allow stories to come to me on their own, I have to give my muse time to get ALL of the story information to me. That kinda thing just doesn't happen as fast as we would like it to. Good thing NaNoWriMo lasts for 30 days! :)

     
  • At 1:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have to go sign up...I started writing last night at 12:01...ha ha

     
  • At 6:59 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Yay! Good luck with it! Lemme know your ID so I can add you as a buddy. Just don't expect me to do that Pauly Shore handshake, buuuuuuuuddy. LOL

     
  • At 12:10 AM , Anonymous Writing a Research Paper said...

    Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home