Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, August 29, 2008

True confession

It's confession time! I have been doing something with my first draft of the new writing book that I SHOULD NOT be doing: Going back to fix what I wrote. Mostly, though, it's not so much the writing I keep fixing, it's the organization of the chapters. I keep changing my mind over where this chapter should be or what that chapter should have in it. Or what title a chapter should have. I keep adding, subtracting, and just changing. I can't seem to make up my mind about it!

And, as it is, I have even asked for feedback on either entire chapters or parts of chapters.

The good news, though, is that I FINALLY finished the first part. Woo-hoo! Now seven more to go. (Yup, that means I'm gonna be a little busy with it for a while.)

I know we should just start writing the first drafts of our books and not stop to change or fix anything until we reach the end, but given that this book is going to take a little time to finish, I keep thinking I won't remember the changes I want to make to chapter three, say, eight weeks from now! I know I could write it down, but that won't be the same. I won't remember that change the same way it is fresh in my mind right now.

I only hope I will break the habit of going back to change or fix something in due time. At least the book is still getting written, and not just rewritten.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:37 AM , Blogger colbymarshall said...

    I don't really think there's anything wrong with that...if you know you want to change things, change 'em! I do it if I find something that needs fixing before I finish.

     
  • At 6:30 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thank you, Colby. :) I am still changing, adding and subtracting things with this book. And now I'm unsure of where a chapter should go! Hopefully I will get to the point where that stops.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home