Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Call for interviewees: How do YOU revise your fiction?

I am looking for fiction writers and editors to interview for my new writing book. The book is tentatively titled Trimming the Fat: A Writer's Guide to Revisions. It discusses how various writers, from poets to novelists, can revise their work, along with tips and articles from other writers in the field.

Currently, I am working on Part Two, which discusses revising fiction. It talks about fixing a manuscript or story scene-by-scene, problems with characters, fixing your plot, how the "show, don't tell" rule can hurt your story, getting rid of the fluff and losing the filler in your stories, and POV problems.

I would love to receive feedback from you about those things if you are a fiction writer or editor. Or, feedback about any other thing as far as revising your fiction is concerned! You DO NOT need to be a published or famous writer of fiction to be included! I am totally open to receiving input from all writers of fiction. I'm also looking for checklists, tips and blog posts or articles by fiction writers/editors that is related to revising fiction.

You can leave a comment with your input on any of those things or email me for specific questions and further details about those chapters.

Thank you. :)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger K. M. Walton said...

    Hi Dawn,
    I teach LA to 6th graders and I'm an unpublished novelist so revision is all around me. I teach my kids to do as I do as a writer...get feedback from readers you trust.

    In my classroom I set up "trusted pair partners" early in the year and they always have a revising conference with their partner, always. I do the same.

    I have a core group of first readers that read my novels. I have four levels of readers. The first level (my mom, my husband, my teaching colleague & my sister) read it for gaping hole problems and pacing issued.

    Level two readers (two more teaching colleagues & my mother-in-law) read it for inconsistencies with characters & plot.

    Level three readers (my older son, my other two sisters & two more teaching colleagues) read it for flow, word repetition and any residual consistencies.

    Level four readers read it for grammar - which I know it technically editing but it can sometimes lead to revision as well.

    It really works for me. I feel my writing is tight and very readable.

     
  • At 6:28 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thank you so much! :) I have a chapter in this book about how receiving feedback can be helpful during revision, so I'll include this comment.

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger K. M. Walton said...

    COOL!!! Thanks Dawn, hope your wrist feels better too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home