Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, April 13, 2007

The right person at the right time

Since I decided to make poetry my theme for the April issue of the BTMO E-zine, I grabbed an appropriate article of mine from my inventory, warned everyone around me "I'm going in!" and set to work on fixing it up. After some snipping here, rewriting there and reorganizing there, I decided the article needed just one more thing: Quotes. On its own, it was fine, but as a reader I always appreciate seeing quotes in articles, quotes that either back up what the writer is saying or offer advice/siggestions. After some thought, I decided to contact Tracey Smith, one of the writers I interviewed for BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL: How We Survive as Writing Parents (http://www.booklocker.com/books/1743.html), who is based in the UK. Since the E-zine was inspired by this book, and since its number one purpose is to promote the book AND the writers included in it, I knew I needed an interviewee from the book, and Tracey turned out to be just the right person to interview, because her bio in the book DOES include poetry credits.

But, as it turned out, she REALLY became the RIGHT person to interview for this article, because she happened to mention she was now a part of a grassroots campaign on downshifting (http://www.downshiftingweek.com/). I checked out her site and was elated to see that National Downshifting Week hadn't come and gone just yet. Actually, it was due up on April 21st to the 27th. PERFECT! I was practically bouncing in my seat when I realized how nicely that would fit into the E-zine. It would give readers a chance to participate, as well! And I do have readers based in the UK; they might be able to do something even more, like contacting Tracey or promoting NDW in their part of the country. Tracey has not been able to get NDW going in the U.S. just yet, but she still has faith -- and so do I!

I'm happy I found out about her eco-friendly campaign. I'm all for doing something good for the environment. Plus, it's one of those things where we take a good hard look at what we have, and comparing it to what we REALLY have (and what we REALLY need). I'm not one for materialistic living, and I believe in living in harmony with the planet. So I'm happy to put her banner on my site and spread the word about her campaign. Just as happy to include her, and her information, in the April E-zine, as well.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Dawn,

    Thank you for your lovely comments about my work! It's great to see that despite the miles that seperate us, distance is really nothing at all!

    I was delighted you asked me for a quote or two and so pleased your own projects are going so well.

    The whole downshifting and simple living movement is growing stronger and larger by the day and I am so pleased to be a driving force behind it.

    Slowing down my own pace has helped me in every part of my life and in all of my relationships too - I highly recommend a bit of 'slow down and green up'!

    Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.

    Much love,
    Tracey x

    Writer/Broadcaster
    Downshifting and Sustainable Living

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home