Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Passion is What Drives the Writer

 

What is it that keeps the writer writing even after they keep getting rejections?

 

Passion.

 

What is it that will help the writer to get through the hard times when they are stuck on their work?

 

Passion.

 

What is it that will keep the love of writing strong no matter what?

 

Passion.

 

Writers are people who write no matter what. It is not so much a feeling of superiority or a sense of needing to have a say about things that drives the writer to put words onto a page. It’s their passion for writing that gets them to write.

 

That passion for writing will also help the struggling writer to never give up in trying to get published, trying to find that literary agent or trying to find a writing gig.

 

It is a passion for writing that kept me writing for all those years I got rejections and my books didn’t sell.

 

It is my passion for writing that drives me to write even still – even now, when I get acceptances and my books are selling.

 

It is my passion for writing that drives me to do all kinds of things with my writing even if nobody cares or notices or even if I don’t succeed. Even if what I write has no impact and doesn’t mean anything to anyone.

 

I don’t need anyone’s permission to write. I don’t need validation to write. I have my passion to write, and that is enough to get me writing.

 

I’ll write through the good and the bad. I’ll write when things are going well for me and even when things are not going so well.

 

It is my passion for writing that keeps me writing.

 

That is the kind of passion you, the writer, need to tap into as well. Once you have locked onto your passion for writing, nothing can stop you from writing. Nothing will keep you from writing.

 

Your passion for writing will keep you writing even if you are not getting acceptances or getting published or getting accolades for your work. Passion doesn’t need any of those things in order to burn within you as a desire to keep writing.

 

Your passion is where all of your desire and your need to write comes from.

 

Take a minute to think about your own passion for writing. Think about it, embrace it and nurture it. This is your power as a writer. This is the one thing that will keep you going and keep you writing even when things are not going so great.

 

If you are passionate about writing, then nothing can get in your way to write. You won’t ever stop writing no matter what happens. Nothing will be able to stop you from putting words onto the page. No one can take your passion for writing away from you. And nothing will ever interfere with your love to write, your desire to write, and your NEED to write if you have a strong passion for writing.

 

A passion for writing makes you unstoppable.

 

There may be times your passion for writing may take a few blows. And some major life event may knock it off course. (I went through a very long dry period after recovering from a near-fatal illness.) But in the end, your passion for writing will never be destroyed. Your passion for writing can never die. It’s the one thing that will keep you writing.

 

Sure, you may feel that you keep writing because it’s what you enjoy doing. It’s what you love to do. It’s what puts food on the table.

 

But ultimately, it is your passion that drives you to write. Your passion for writing is what keeps you writing day in and day out.

 

So enjoy your passion for writing. Nurture it and take solace in it. Allow your passion to write drive you as a writer and you’ll keep writing no matter what life throws at you.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home