Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

How to Manage Writer's Block : Guest post by author Amy Lignor

Author Amy Lignor is celebrating the release of the second book in her Tallent & Lowery series, The Sapphire Storm. She has stopped by today to share how she combats writer's block. I can so relate to her habit of keeping a tablet of paper and a pen with her in the car! I also have one in my nightstand, in my purse, in the kitchen...




How to Manage Writer's Block

By Amy Lignor

"How do you manage writer’s block?" This is one of those questions that will forever wrack the minds of all writers. The basic concept of a book for me comes out of nowhere. I will hear or see something that I just have to investigate further. I am a huge fan of librarians and the minds they have; they can produce an infinite number of facts in an infinite number of categories that others just don’t know. My mother had a career as a research librarian and I will always thank her for passing that love of information to me.

After the research has been done, however, writer’s block happens to me almost in an instant. Because I’m one of those authors that needs – literally NEEDS – to have the first line of the book before I can write a single word, I will drive myself nuts trying to find it. And…I drive everyone else nuts too. I can’t read books when I have writer’s block because my own brain is searching so hard for that one opening line. I do watch a lot of movies during that time period in order to just relax and step away from literature completely.

That line will sometimes come at 2:00 am, and I wake up with a start and run to the den. Or, sometimes it comes to me while I’m driving and I have to pull over immediately to write it down because I’m getting older and I forget easily. (I always keep pen and paper in the glove compartment just for this emergency.)

Once I’ve found that line I can’t step away from the computer. I get so into the adventure and where I’m going next that, thankfully, the block releases. And I love the fact that even though I’m the author of the book, my plans can change (and do) midstream during the creation of the story. It feels very much to me like the characters are telling me where to go next. I have the research done on locales, but their next steps seem to be given to me by them.

I love writing the ‘Tallent & Lowery’ series for the simple fact that I can watch the adventure play out by following this incredible duo. If I get confused by what I should do, the character literally tugs me by the hand and we’re off once again. It’s a good thing, too, because if I were to experience writer’s block in huge doses I think my family would pack up and I’d never see them again.

Until Next Time, Everybody,
Happy Holidays!
Amy








After going up against a man who believed he was the Devil, himself, Leah Tallent and Gareth Lowery are beyond exhausted. Now they are about to embark on the most terrifying journey imaginable . . . a trip to meet Leah’s parents. When Leah arrives where the ‘home fires burn,’ her sarcasm burns even brighter, while Gareth Lowery—the handsome adventurer—uses his charm to sway the ‘odd’ Tallent clan. But when a frightening call from Gareth’s sister arrives telling him that her love has disappeared, the daring duo is soon running away from one horrific situation directly into another. A new puzzle from the past has come to life. Following clues left behind, the courageous couple becomes embedded in a world filled with liars, killers and greed. And when the riddle of a famous ‘Bard,’ is solved, a strange woman appears who has far more in common with Leah than she can possibly imagine. The heart-stopping suspense of this new quest takes them from Coptic Cairo to the magical world of Petra, in search of a cave deep underground that once housed a true ‘Illuminator.’ Yet again, they must find the answers and stay one step ahead of true villains who are determined to make sure that—this time—Tallent & Lowery do not survive. Join the action as the passionate team who readers fell in love with in “13,” end up unlocking an ancient mystery that no one is ever going to believe!

Purchase Links for the print & digital versions of Tallent & Lowery:
Amazon:


www.amazon.com/13-Tallent-Lowery-Book-One/dp/1481136070/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385748415&sr=1-2&keywords=Tallent+%26+Lowery

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Storm-Tallent-Lowery-Book/dp/1482671921/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385748415&sr=1-3&keywords=Tallent+%26+Lowery

http://www.amazon.com/Heros-Companion-Tallent-Lowery/dp/0615907164/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385748415&sr=1-1&keywords=Tallent+%26+Lowery

Barnes & Noble:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/amy-lignor

Smashwords:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/byseries/4177

Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5222068.Amy_Lignor




Bio: As the daughter of a career librarian Amy grew up loving books; ‘Patience & Fortitude’ at the NYPL were her heroes. Beginning with Amy’s first book of historical romance which was titled, “The Heart of a Legend,” she began developing the storyline for a new series, (Tallent & Lowery) which moved her into the world of action and adventure/alternative history, however she had to temporarily place Tallent & Lowery on the back burner when her YA career spiked with The Angel Chronicles series. Tallent & Lowery just wouldn’t be put to bed so easily and Amy, the ever obedient author, found the time to bring these remarkable characters to life. “13” is the first book in the seven book series. Working as an editor in the publishing industry for decades, Amy is now the Owner/Operator of The Write Companion (www.thewritecompanion.com) which offers full editing, ghostwriting and proofreading services to authors. She is also a contributor to Suspense Magazine and various other literary publications such as The RT (Romantic Times), and HumorOutcasts.com. Amy is a reviewer for periodicals and websites including: Authorlink, The Feathered Quill, The Romantic Times (RT) Magazine, SheWrites.com, Random House YA, Bookpleasures.com, and Once Upon a Romance. Join Amy on Goodreads.com where she has won the YA writing contest with her continuing story titled, Meet the Reaper.


Author Links:

https://www.facebook.com/alignor
http://tallentandlowery.blogspot.com/
http://the-angel-chronicles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @HelloWritersAmy
www.TheWriteCompanion.com
http://www.pinterest.com/amylignor/
 






Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home