Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

There won't be 12 for 2012


First, it was “write 12 ebooks in 12 months.”

After that plan did not work out, I decided that, since I had so much on my plate, I would instead submit 12 manuscripts in 12 months.

However, that has not worked out very well, either. Because, as it is, the publishers I submitted manuscripts to needed extra time to go over submissions from me. And some, like GSP, are already working on getting books published that we have contracts for. That takes time, too.

Soooo ... it would seem that this is a plan I will have to deep-six as well. I just don’t feel comfortable sending one publisher submission after submission after submission. (Hm, I think I write a lot.) So, no. No more of that!

This year, I have submitted 9 manuscripts. I queried an agent for another, and in December, if things move forward with one publisher, I’ll submit another. So that’s technically 11. But there won’t be a 12th.

Not this year.

I’m totally okay with that. For some projects, like the haunted cities book, people just need more time until it’s all complete. And, yes, I’d love to see the first book in the GHOST Group series out by January, but I don’t think that’s going to happen because that publisher already has two other manuscripts by me that are pending publication.

But I’m still going to finish revisions on this one, as well as the second and third books, this year (the second and third books in that series are Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day stories, respectively). I’m going to get that done all the same, because I want to have those projects COMPLETE and FINISHED. Then I’ll work on the third and consecutive books next year.

So now, that is the schedule I am working by. Instead of prepping the next manuscript to submit, I am going to instead work on completing ongoing projects and get those books done. That way, I can start the new year fresh. I will pick up where I left off with the health book and continue work on the new poetry book.

Also for next year I will self-publish yet another poetry book and revise a horror novel a publisher is interested in. Only, I’ll send the manuscript along AFTER that particular publisher is finished with one of my books already under contract.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger colbymarshall said...

    You're ambitious! I do well if I turn out one manuscript a year. Good for you!

     
  • At 7:08 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Thanks, Colby. :) I think it's a good idea to get all of the stories and all of the book ideas written while they are still fresh and, er, "going on" in my mind.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home