Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

First book regrets

Recently, I saw a query in HARO for authors who wanted to share their first book regrets. Since I had a story to share, I sent mine in. Days passed and I never got a reply. I shrugged it off, thinking that maybe mine was not an item to be included, and just moved on. However, yesterday I was contacted with a notification that my experience WAS included! Yay!

You can read my "first book regrets" here:

How To Move Your Book Away From Your Ankles and 30+ Other Publishing Horror Nuggets

Note: You'll have to scroll down a bit to find it.

After reading the other stories, I must say that I feel some degree of comfort knowing that I am not the only writer who thinks her first book could have used some serious editing/revising before going to print. Oh, sure, I could chalk it all up to being young and having more dreams and ambition than wisdom and caution, but that in itself is no excuse. With the Internet having so much to offer as far as knowledge, research and checking background is concerned, and with so many teens on the Internet so often, it's a little hard to not be exposed to some message of how important it is to know these things.

I'm also seeing how some authors wished they had obtained ISBNs for their books. I can relate. One of my poetry books does not have an ISBN and that has limited how much I can get the book reviewed and where it can be sold. I hope to rectify this when the new version of this book comes out in October.

Special thank you to Issamar Ginzberg for including my story.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM , Anonymous Millie said...

    Haha wow. Well that's just how it goes in any entertainment industry I'm sure. You know, the directors who are probably embarrassed about their early movies, musicians w/ their first CD and so on. Live and learn is true.

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Yes, it is. This happens because we grow in our abilities as a creative. Also, we tend to change our focus or change our "identity," so to speak, so earlier works which don't compliment these changes are pretty much the butt of many jokes. Who could forget Vanilla Ice crushing a copy of his "Ice, Ice Baby" single on national television? Times change and creative people change, too. Thank you for commenting. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home