Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bumping the to-do list

I'm one of those people who can't function without a daily to-do list -- as far as the writing is concerned. Because I'm involved in different things as a writer (not just writing books!), it really helps to create a weekly "to do" list, which I consult daily, in order to get things done. Because if it's not written down, I forget! And deadlines don't get met.

And if I don't have this list, this strategy for conducting my writing career, it means chaos, because there are different things to take care of (book business, freelancing, writing, editing, blogging/networking, and promotion) that I have to take care of each week. Yep, each and EVERY week! I'm on the job for life! (haha)

Anyway, this week, I had my to-do list all written up and my daily tasks all planned. But you know what they say about the best laid plans. Sometimes, the things you PLAN to do just don't get done! Reminds me of that quote: "Man plans and God laughs."

All those words mean that all of my daily tasks did NOT get done on the days they were supposed to get done this week!

On Monday, I couldn't get all three tasks done. I just couldn't find the time for that third item. Maybe that is a good thing. I bumped it to Tuesday, and it ended up taking me HOURS to complete (but it was definitely time well spent!). On Tuesday, I was too mentally exhausted for a brainstorming session, so that task got bumped to today. Thankfully, I got it done.

So far, I have managed to get the daily tasks I have given myself for the week all wrapped up and finished. But I wonder if my luck will hold for the rest of the week.

I have completed three of the four things I have to do today. I am hoping that fourth item won't get bumped to tomorrow's lists of tasks, because it's definitely something I need to do EVERY DAY of the week, until it's finished.

And so far, I have been able to do this every day. It has not been a bumped item yet and I'm hoping it stays that way.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home