Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Monday, September 26, 2022

If You Can't Write at Home, Go Write Somewhere Else

 

Writing at home is how most writers get their writing done these days. I write at home. Many fellow writers I know write at home. Most writers just starting out usually write at home.

 

But sometimes, home is not always where the writing is.

 

Even when writing at home, with all your comfort foods and items everywhere and with zero interruptions, you might have a hard time getting the writing going like always.

 

Sometimes, no matter what you do at home, the words just won’t come out.

 

You try exercising, meditating, visualizing, hydrating with water, sitting alone with your thoughts as well as reading – but even STILL you can’t write! It’s like your muse has gone on holiday without notice.

 

That’s when you will need to take a drastic measure: Change your writing environment.

 

When you spend time at the desk day in and day out, writing to your heart’s content, that writing environment can get old after a while. You’ll need to get your creative juices flowing in a different environment. This usually helps a lot of writers struggling to write and it just might help you as well.

 

There was one time I was writing a book when the day came that I couldn’t write anything. I tried all the usual tricks to get writing but nothing worked. It was only when I went to the library and surrounded myself with books for research that I was suddenly inspired to write. (I am not sure if it was the change in environment or having books on the topic all over the table that got me writing, but at least I was writing!)

 

The library is just one place you can go to get some writing done. I have also gone on a solo lunch and took my writing notebook along with me, writing while I ate. (Funnily enough, the service I received at that restaurant that day was fantastic. Maybe they thought I was a restaurant critic.)

 

I have also done some writing while my kiddo played at the Playplace in McDonald’s.

 

You can also try writing at a park. I have found this to be enjoyable as well. Just being out in nature, surrounded by trees and lovely paths, can really boost creativity. (If the sound of kids playing is an issue, maybe wear headphones while you write.)

 

Other places you can go to change your environment for writing:

 

·        A seating area near a river

·        A beach

·        Another room of the house (I often write at the kitchen table!)

·        A friend’s house

·        A cabin in the woods

·        A motel room

·        A treehouse or a fort

 

There are a number of different places you can go to in order to get some writing done. There are also different environments you can create in order to help you get those words down. Use your imagination and go with what feels right for you.

 

Sometimes, just changing where you write and your environment can help you write when you’re struggling to write. See if taking this kind of action helps and keep it as just one option to try the next time you’re having a bad writing day.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home