Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Got an idea? New book, THE IDEA WORKBOOK, offers tips on what to do with it


“I have lots of ideas, but I don’t know what to do with them.”

 

“I get so many ideas and I don’t know how to choose just one to work on.”

 

“I get ideas for things that people tell me are impossible or not realistic, but I want to find out if that’s true.”

 

In my 40+ years on this planet, I have heard some version of the above statement many times from many different people. Ideas are great, sure, and most of us who get ideas would love to know what to do with our ideas, how to record them, and if they’re really something that could be a “thing.” Most of the time, some people get ideas but just don’t do anything with them at all.

 

Don’t let this be you!

 

My latest Kindle Unlimited ebook, THE IDEA WORKBOOK: How to Choose and Use Your Ideas, gives you the 411 on just what to do with all those ideas floating around in your head.

 

The first thing you should do with your ideas is get them out of your head and onto paper! Part One of this book explains why. Having trouble figuring out which idea to take on first? Check out the chapters in Part Two. If you’re wondering how to make your idea more accessible, head over to Part Three to find out. Do you think your idea can really be turned into an actual product? Part Four gives you some tips. Part Five gives you pointers on what to do when the Great Unveiling happens, and Part Six shares tips on what you can do with all those ideas you previously thought were no good.

 

When I first started writing this book, I did so with the intention of wanting to help people with the common problems associated with getting ideas: How to select an idea out of the many, why it’s important to record our ideas, and what exactly we can do with our ideas. When I put together the outline for this book, it had just 20 chapters. The final draft has 30 chapters. I learned a lot in my research, and I felt that it was important to cover certain business and legal aspects associated with wanting to do something with an idea. I also realized that, as someone with a disability who has come across MANY inventions that are pretty much useless to someone who is deaf, it would be a good idea to write about how to make an idea into a product that is more accessible to everyone.

 

The more research I did for this book, the bigger the topic I realized I had on my hands. I went into the writing of this book as a writer who has lots of ideas for things and I came out of the writing of this book as a more informed idea person who is more aware that making an idea into reality is not just about slapping a bunch of materials together and hawking it on the streets. There’s a lot involved as far as research, patents and production is concerned. I say in the Introduction of this book that it’s a basic introduction on that subject. I have included some excellent books and websites that go more in-depth on that subject in the Resources at the end of this book. For anyone seriously considering going into the invention business or thinking about licensing their ideas, I strongly encourage them to check out those books and websites.

 

But what I want this book to ultimately do for readers is let them know that their ideas – every single one of them – are valid. They are worth thinking about and recording. They are worth pursuing. A lot of people in the past were told that their ideas for things such as airplanes, telephones, space shuttles, and computers were either useless, impossible or that no one would use them. But today we have airplanes, telephones, space shuttles and computers! People USE them! And our lives, as well as our knowledge about the world, are the better for them.

 

Ideas have the power to change the world. All it takes is one idea to bring something amazing and helpful into this world.

 

I remember the day I first learned about texting. I watched a commercial where two people were struggling to communicate while attending a loud party. One person solved that problem by using text. I remember when I first saw that, I practically jumped out of my chair with joy. For years, I have struggled to communicate with people. Not everyone I meet knows how to fingerspell (sign the alphabet in ASL). And most hearing people who attempted to communicate with me in the past usually turned away and walked off when I told them I am deaf. (I can’t hear but I can speak.) But texting? As a means of communication which even people who are deaf can use?? YES!!!! There was finally technology that was opening doors for the Deaf/HOH to be able to COMMUNICATE with others! And hearing people I have crossed paths with ever since have indeed used texting to communicate with me when I have trouble reading their lips. (I especially have a hard time reading the lips of someone with a mustache and beard. I tried bluffing my way through a conversation with such a person once, and it did not go well. I think this person thought I was just being rude.)

 

Texting SOLVED the communication problem that I, a deaf person, had with hearing people who did not know how to sign.

 

And it all happened thanks to one person coming up with the idea for texting on smartphones.

 

No matter how silly, bizarre, “impossible” or technical an idea may be, it’s worth holding onto and doing something about it. I have ideas for tech gadgets, clothing and entertainment products that up until the writing of this book, I thought could never be. Writing this book showed me that ANY idea can be possible. ANYTHING we come up with can be turned into a real thing. Now I know what to do with my ideas!

 

I already know what to do with ideas for things to write. Now, because I wrote this book, I know what to do with my ideas for OTHER things. Things I used to think would just collect dust in my desk drawer.

 

I have been told in the past that some of my ideas were “impossible” or “we don’t have the technology for that.” I no longer believe this to be true, because what I learned from researching and writing this book has shown that any idea can be made into a reality – IF it hasn’t been already. One piece of advice this book constantly gives is to do research, and I can’t say enough how important researching an idea is. Yes, research your idea, and even if you discover someone else already created it, research it some more. This book provides tips on how you can still make your idea an improved version that is your very own.

 

Writing this book has definitely given me faith in my ideas again. I now feel that I can actually DO SOMETHING with my ideas. I hope that anyone who reads this book will feel the same way too.

 

Hold onto your ideas. See where they lead you. Believe in them, have faith in them, and never give up on making your idea into something more than just a thought bubble over your head. Take that idea and turn it into something real! Something big! And something that just might make the world a better place for it.

 

Special thanks to Julie Fletcher for editing this book. Thanks also to Jenn Greenleaf, Juliann W., Centauri Wilson, Jax W. and Madeline T.

 

Blurb for THE IDEA WORKBOOK:

 

The world as we know it would not exist without ideas. Ideas are the building blocks of the future. From the moment someone is inspired to create something that would benefit humankind to the moment their idea is turned into reality, the steps we take on whether or not to grab hold of that idea all depend on you. It is up to you to pay attention to your ideas, grab hold of them, and do everything you can to make your idea come true. Believe in your ideas and what they can do. Your next big idea can be your next step toward building a better world.

 

Available for free through Kindle Unlimited.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home