A Tale of Two Types of Feedback
![]() |
| Photo Credit: Mikhail Nilov via Pexels |
Ah, feedback. That Golden Fleece so many writers wish a rejecting editor would give to them, just so they know how to improve their work!
I am grateful to the editors who DO take the time to provide feedback when rejecting a piece, because those nuggets of wisdom are what will help me to improve the work for the next editor I submit it to, but not all editors who reject our work will provide that feedback. Alas! But it’s understandable, given that editors receive So Many submissions (I know of one editor who received 700 submissions for an anthology call), and nothing will bring on serious writer’s cramp like ALL of that typing involved in providing feedback to Every Single submission being rejected.
But when we do receive feedback from an editor, whether they are rejecting our work or giving us another chance, that is when the writer will sit up and hang on every word they read.
Yes, there are many writers out there who are already soliciting feedback – from both alpha and beta readers – but the type of feedback we are most hungry for is the kind we receive from an editor who is in charge of accepting or rejecting our work. THAT is the kind of feedback we want, the kind of feedback we hope for, because if there is something in our work that makes the editor say “not for us,” then we want to know what it is! We want to know what that THING in our work is that has editors rejecting our work, because we want to fix it! If that is the thing keeping our work from getting published, then we want to fix it so that we have a better chance of our work being accepted somewhere else.
For the longest time, I had a novel rejected by one publisher and agent after another. I finally tossed the thing to my beta readers and asked them if they could figure out what was wrong with it. My beta readers told me what was wrong with my manuscript – they literally tore into that thing! – and after I revised the manuscript based on their feedback, it was accepted by the next publisher I submitted it to.
This has also happened with poems and short stories I have submitted. One story was rejected many times, but after I received feedback on certain things that were wrong with the story, I fixed those problem spots, and it was accepted by the next editor I submitted it to.
However, recently, I received two different forms of feedback from editors that really made me do a double take.
In one case, the editor rejecting my poetry showed me exactly how to fix those poems so they would meet the standards of what is acceptable in literary journals. Unfortunately, this made me realize that my poetry is not right for that journal, because I don’t write those kinds of poems. My horror poetry is not written in the style of literary horror. So, I thanked the editor and removed this publication from my list of places to submit work to.
In another case, an editor providing feedback was not doing so while also rejecting my submission. This editor pointed out some things in my story which were taboo and therefore unacceptable. This editor said, “If you change those things, as well as how they affect the character, I’ll give your story another look.” This particular feedback blew me away, because the editor saw things that I hadn’t. Of course I am grateful to this editor, but I had to wonder if this story was rejected by other places because of that very reason. I never received that kind of feedback from one publication that rejected it; their gripe was mostly about the character arc in the story. But I could see how that taboo subject would have bothered them, as well as other editors who had rejected this story. None of them told me what this editor did. If they had even seen those things, it would have been nice to know about it! But I’m grateful THIS editor told me, and that THIS editor is giving me a second chance.
And that’s another thing we writers hope for: A second chance. Or even a third or fourth chance. (I’m looking at you, Carnage House. You’ll be hearing from me again!)
In my role as acquisitions editor at Twisted Dreams Press, I do give authors that second chance – as well as others, if needed. I’ll read a manuscript and, if there’s something that I feel could be fixed to improve the story, I will let the author know. For example, with one manuscript, the story had characters dying and the friends of these characters did not react at all. There was no emotion, no tears, nothing. They just continued on their way. After I finished reading the manuscript, I asked the author to revise those areas because, hello, their friend was just murdered, and they’re not going to react at all? With another manuscript, I asked the author to change a nurse’s reaction to a patient’s story of ALL of the horrors she has been through, because the nurse’s reaction was not realistic.
So, yes, the feedback we receive from an editor can be amazingly helpful. Our alpha and beta readers may provide helpful feedback on our work, but it’s the feedback from editors that gives our work a better chance of being accepted, because those editors are the people more attuned to what kind of work is right for publication, as well as what aligns with the publication they are in charge of receiving submissions for.
Labels: crit, editors, feedback, freelance, freelance writing, review, revision, writers, writing, WritingCommunity


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home