Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Tuesday, November 07, 2023

The Power of 3: Three Nonpaying Markets for Writers

 

I work as a freelance writer, which is something I am quick to admit to anytime someone asks me, “What do you do?” What I’m not so quick to admit to is that I submit to nonpaying markets in addition to the ones that do pay.

 

I know, I know. Writers should be paid for all of their hard work. You can’t pay bills with exposure. Etc., etc. I know all of the arguments put forth on why writers should be paid for their work.

 

And while I DO rely on any income that I earn from freelance writing to help pay bills, pay for my medications and fund my self-publishing ventures, I don’t ACTIVELY rely on that income. I don’t need that kind of stress! Seriously. I basically just hope for the best. It’s NICE to get an acceptance where I will be paid for my work, but it’s not the end of the world if I don’t.

 

One of the reasons why I have adopted this mindset with freelance writing is because I am more focused on getting my name out there than I am in being paid to be published. Also, as a publisher of a newsletter myself, I know how hard it is to have the money to pay writers for their contributions to my newsletter. And if I pay too little, I get slammed by other newsletter publishers who are paying double digits.

 

If I did pay writers that amount for their contributions, I would not be able to publish my newsletter. So, unfortunately, I am unable to pay writers.

 

So, yeah, I get it. I know it’s hard.

 

Also, I didn’t feel comfortable turning my nose up at publishing opportunities that do not pay writers. I have had some very pleasant experiences in being published in nonpaying markets, and have worked with amazing people.

 

All of this is to say I bring you three nonpaying markets who all have a “3” in their name. To those of you who would find this useful and submit to those markets, I wish you the best of luck!

 

3:AMMagazine

This market is currently closed to fiction submissions. From their Facebook page: "3:AM Magazine is an online journal of radical literature and philosophy. Featuring literary criticism." Currently accepting poetry, criticism and nonfiction. Their submission guidelines can be found here. Note that they request you contact the correct editor for your submission, which can be found on their Contacts page.

 

3Elements Review

According to their submissions guidelines: “We appreciate good writing in any genre. We especially like edgy writing that offers insight into darkness. We prefer character-driven stories as opposed to plot-driven ones. We relish a piece with a great deal of heart and more than a little bit of Truth (note the capital “T”). We want to read a story that makes us feel edified or philosophical or amused or creeped out or angry or melancholy or inspired or, best yet, all of these things together.”

They provide three elements to include in your story to submit. Deadlines to submit stories are on a rolling basis. Length for fiction and nonfiction submissions is 3500 words max, and poetry must be limited to two typed pages. All submissions must be previously unpublished. They also accept art and photography which capture the three elements provided in some way.

 

3centsMagazine

From their submission guidelines page: 

“Remember that at 3cents Magazine we are looking for works that can enter into a conversation with two other pieces–works that have something to say.” Current theme is “companionship” and the submission deadline is December 3. They accept poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Submissions must be previously unpublished and each submission must go into one category: poetry, nonfiction and creative nonfiction/essay/memoir.  

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home