Dawn Colclasure's Blog

Author and poet Dawn Colclasure

Friday, September 03, 2010

September business

September is here! I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of September 1st, because it meant there was just one more month to go before Spook City comes out! I am so excited about this book and can't wait to see it finally appear in print! Hard to believe I got started on that book nearly 2 years ago. And all it took to get the idea for that book was an article I started to do research on. The article never happened, of course. The book happened, instead! (I ended up having too much material to fit into one article.) That is ONE book that I have coming out in October, but it's not the only one.

Yep, that's right. I have an additional book scheduled for publication in October: The revised version of Topiary Dreams! My original venture to try to publish Topiary Dreams myself after Evil-Book.com shut down ended up failing miserably. One reason why is because, in my naivete, I tried to do something special with the font to make the book stand out. Unfortunately, while it looked good on screen, it did not look good on paper. It ended up being too hard for many people to read. (I didn't get any print galleys to review before printing.) Another reason is because of no EAN bar code or ISBN. Fail!

So I'm taking it through CreateSpace this time. Self-publishing is just not for me at this point in time. However, to make this version even better than the last, I added new poems, had it professionally edited and I am currently seeking some blurbs from fellow horror writers.

That's one thing I had to remember to do this month. While September has gotten me all excited in getting just one month closer for the release of new books, it's also gotten me busy doing some legwork! I finally remembered to submit Topiary Dreams to a writer who agreed to provide a blurb for it (and I am hoping to find one or two other writers who will do this as well). I also had to remind my publisher about getting the cover done for Spook City. (She informed me the cover artist is working on that.)

Aside from the book business, I'll have to get ready for these releases! There's promotion to do and book reviewers to find. As it is, I have been sending out emails and press releases to book reviewers for Love is Like a Rainbow, but only one person has replied with a request to review. Thank goodness for Night Owl Reviews! I have the opportunity to have my books featured on there and review copies are uploaded into their system. So, at least there is that. I don't know if Topiary Dreams would match with what they review. It is horror, but....horror poetry. Well, we'll see!

So aside from the normal writing stuff I do each month, I'll be putting extra focus on getting ready for these book releases. The good news is that at least I am almost done prepping the second and third books for the Revisions book series, so I won't have to stress out so much there. I just need to find short fiction writers to interview and obtain quotes from on revising short fiction! The second book is heading off to my publisher this month. Yay!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM , Blogger Joleene Naylor said...

    You do such a great job of juggling all these different projects! I'd have to have lists I think to keep track of it all, LOL!

    I know when I sent out review requests some of them took months to answer me about whether they were even interested. So hopefully you'll get something back from some of the others soon!

     
  • At 11:24 AM , Blogger Dawn Wilson said...

    Actually, I DO use lists! LOL Believe me, it's a sanity saver. It's the only way for me to keep tabs on everything.

    I'm still planning to review YOUR book. I just have to, erm...FIND it. Ever since we moved, I'm still looking for things after unpacking boxes! Thanks for letting me know it could take a while for book reviewers to get back to me. That makes me feel better!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home